UMBC Downs Navy Tennis Team
March 9, 2013
BALTIMORE, Md. -- UMBC won the doubles point and a pair of three-set singles matches to propel the Retrievers to a 5-2 win over the Navy men's tennis team Saturday afternoon at the UMBC Tennis Complex.
The Retrievers (4-5) began the day by posting identical 8-4 victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 flights to earn the doubles point. Alex Drean and Daniel Gray were the first tandem to finish as the duo defeated Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) at the No. 3 flight. Eliott Loubatie and Melker Svard then closed out the first part of the proceedings on the day with their victory over Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) and Austin Jones (Fr., Dallas, Texas) at No. 2 doubles.
Navy's (9-7) No. 1 duo of Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) held a 6-4 lead over Gaulthier Berret and Justin Carter when the match was halted after the Retrievers earned the doubles point.
"We came out slow in doubles," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We did not play with the intensity we needed and things got away from us."
Carter gave UMBC its second team point of the afternoon with his 6-3, 6-1 win over Mark at No. 1 singles. The 2-0 deficit was promptly sliced in half as Gaines posted a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Loubatie at No. 6 singles. The final match to be completed in straight sets saw Kamal Patel defeat Gutsche by the score of 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 flight.
UMBC secured the overall team victory when Drean notched a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Jones at No. 3 singles, then tallied its fifth point of the afternoon when Svard defeated McDonald, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 2 singles.
The final match of the day saw Daniel win a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-0) decision over Berret at No. 4 singles.
"We fought back in singles," said Officer. "The two matches we lost that went three sets were the difference.
"We let a lot of leads and opportunities slip away from us."
Navy will play host to Mount St. Mary's (Noon) and UMES (5 p.m.) Sunday at the Tose Family Tennis Center.
UMBC (4-5) def. Navy (9-7), 5-2
Doubles -- UMBC wins the doubles point (3-2)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) led Berret, Gaulthier / Carter, Justin, 6-4 - unfinished
2. Loubatie, Eliott / Svard, Melker (UMBC) def. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin, 8-4
3. Drean, Alex / Gray, Daniel (UMBC) def. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas, 8-4
1. Carter, Justin (UMBC) def. Mark, Calvin, 6-3, 6-1
2. Svard, Melker (UMBC) def. McDonald, Peter, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Drean, Alex (UMBC) def. Jones, Austin, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Berret, Gaulthier, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-0)
5. Patel, Kamal (UMBC) def. Gutsche, Nicholas, 7-5, 6-4
6. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Loubatie, Eliott, 6-1, 6-2