March 9, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Sunday was a long but successful one for the Navy men's tennis team as the Mids recorded a pair of victories at the Tose Family Tennis Center. Navy tallied a 6-1 victory over Mount St. Mary's, in a match that started at noon, followed by a 5-2 win over Monmouth, which ended at nearly 8:30 p.m.
Navy's (10-5) match against Monmouth (2-6) lasted only a few minutes shy of three and one-half hours. The Mid would record wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 flights to earn the first point of the match. Navy's No. 1 tandem of Austin Jones (So., Dallas, Texas) and Thomas Pecor (Fr., Houston, Texas) combined for an 8-4 victory over Freddy Marcinkowski and Ramy Bekhiet, then Alex Gaines (So., Wilmington, N.C.) and Krishna Jana (Fr., Seabrook, Texas) posted an 8-5 win over Przemyslaw Filipek and Bee Kumthonkittikul at No. 3 doubles.
Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) would give Navy its second point when he defeated Filipek, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. The Hawks would slice the margin in half when Luke Adamus posted a 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Gaines at No. 6 singles.
Blake Daniel (Jr., Overland Park, Kan.) took the Mids to the verge of winning the match as he won his No. 4 singles match against Marcinkowski by the score of 6-3, 6-2. Pecor would give Navy its fourth, and match-clinching team point of the day as he rallied late in the second set to defeat Kumthonkittikul, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3), at No. 3 singles.
"Any win is a good win, so we are happy," said Navy head coach John Officer after the Monmouth match. "Monmouth played us very tough, they battled us, they did not back down. We came in riding high after our earlier match in the day, and were playing very well. We kind of squashed them in early in the singles, but they didn't quit.
"The way they battled us is good because in a league championship you are going to have high intensity matches like this, so I am glad we had to face that. The fact that we are rotating our top four guys (in singles) really helped, because down the line we won at two-three-four in straight sets. Doubles was okay; we did a good job of closing it out, but we had some sketchy parts in there. I think in about a week or so this is a match we could have dominated, but we did not do that today."
The Mids began the day with their win over Mount St. Mary's (4-4). Navy's three doubles teams lost a combined two games in sweeping the three matches, then the Mids went out and won five straight-set singles matches.
Navy will close out its stretch of four matches in four days with a Tuesday contest against Morgan State. That match is slated to begin at 4 p.m. in the Tose Family Tennis Center.
Navy (9-5) def. Mount St. Mary's (4-4), 6-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-2-1)
1. Daniel, Blake / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Salomon, Peter / Tonon, Louis (MOUNT), 8-0
2. Pecor, Thomas / Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) def. DeSomocurcio, Mateo / Salam, Adam (MOUNT), 8-1
3. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Blake, Austin / Mast, Darren (MOUNT), 8-1
1. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Salam, Adam (MOUNT), 6-2, 6-0
2. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Blake, Austin (MOUNT), 6-3, 6-2
3. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. DeSomocurcio, Mateo (MOUNT), 6-0, 6-1
4. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Salomon, Peter (MOUNT), 6-4, 6-1
5. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Mast, Darren (MOUNT), 6-4, 6-2
6. Tonon, Louis (MOUNT) def. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
Navy (10-5) def. Monmouth (2-6), 5-2
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-3)
1. Jones, Austin / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Marcinkowski, Freddy / Bekhiet, Ramy (MU), 8-4
2. Pugliese, Victor / Vieira, Christian (MU) led Daniel, Blake / Mark, Calvin (NAVY), 7-6, unfinished
3. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw / Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU), 8-5
1. Pugliese, Victor (MU) def. Jones, Austin (NAVY), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw (MU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU), 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Vieira, Christian (MU), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Adamus, Luke (MU) def. Gaines, Alex (NAVY), 2-6, 6-2, 6-4