March 10, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team improved its record to 11-7 on the season by tallying a pair of victories over Mount St. Mary's and UMES on Sunday. The Mids defeated the Mountaineers by the score of 6-1 and the Hawks by a 5-0 count.
Navy began the day by winning each of the three doubles matches against Mount St. Mary's. The first match to finish was at No. 1 doubles where Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) combined for an 8-4 win over Matthew Blake and Taylor Place. The No. 2 doubles match finished next, with Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) winning an 8-4 decision against Adam Salam and Mike Salomon. Tyler Burnett (So., Fayetteville, Ga.) and Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) gave the Mids their third doubles win as they tallied a 9-7 victory over Austin Blake and Mike Zabetakis at No. 3 doubles.
After being the initial doubles tandem to record a win, Mark and McDonald were the first two players to complete their singles matches. Mark was the first Mid to notch a win as he downed Matthew Blake by the score of 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1 singles, with McDonald soon completing a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Salam at the No. 2 flight.
Place would post a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Burnett at No. 6 singles to make the score 3-1 in favor of Navy, but Daniel picked up the fourth and match-clinching team point for the Mids with his 6-1, 6-3 win over Salomon at the No. 3 flight. The remaining two matches saw Gaines win a 6-2, 6-4 decision over Zabetakis at No. 5 singles and Gutsche tally a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Austin Blake at No. 4 singles.
"We talked a lot this morning about team dynamics and how we can utilize team momentum," said Navy head coach John Officer
. "We implemented some new concepts to sustain team momentum and we did a good job of it. We have to keep practicing it and keep working at it.
"We had a little adjustment at the start of the day with going from the slow courts we played on yesterday (at UMBC) to the fast courts today, but once we did we started rolling."
The Mids then did not drop a game in winning any of the six matches they played against UMES. Navy's victorious doubles teams were Gaines and Mark at No. 1 and Daniel and Gutsche at No. 2. Mark (No. 1), Daniel (No. 2), Gutsche (No. 3) and Gaines (No. 4) picked up the singles victories.
Navy will return to the Tose Family Tennis Center Tuesday to play host to Morgan State in a 4 p.m. match.
Navy (10-7) def. Mount St. Mary's (3-2), 6-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-2-3)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Blake, Matthew / Place, Taylor, 8-4
2. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Salam, Adam / Salomon, Mike, 8-4
3. Burnett, Tyler / Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Blake, Austin / Zabetakis, Mike, 9-7
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Blake, Matthew, 6-0, 6-1
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Salam, Adam, 6-3, 6-3
3. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Salomon, Mike, 6-1, 6-3
4. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Blake, Austin, 6-4, 6-1
5. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Zabetakis, Mike, 6-2, 6-4
6. Place, Taylor (MSM) def. Burnett, Tyler, 6-4, 6-2
Navy (11-7) def. UMES (0-3), 5-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-2)
1. Gaines, Alex / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Elame, Wirlen / McClay, Kijontray, 8-0
2. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Journey, Joseph / Uddin, Mohin, 8-0
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Elame, Wirlen, 6-0, 6-0
2. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. McClay, Kijontray, 6-0, 6-0
3. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Uddin, Mohin, 6-0, 6-0
4. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Journey, Joseph, 6-0, 6-0