March 12, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team ran its winning streak to three matches with a 6-1 victory over Morgan State Tuesday afternoon at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis, Md.
"We played well," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We have worked on some things over the break on keeping our percentages up. It wasn't a perfect match, but in all but one of the matches we played extremely well."
The Mids (12-7) won each of the seven matches it played against the Bears (1-12). Injuries left Navy with just five available players for the match, which meant the Mids could field only two doubles teams and five singles players. Needing to win both doubles matches to secure the doubles point, Navy did just that with an 8-4 win at the No. 1 flight by Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) and an 8-2 victory by the team of Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) at No. 2 doubles.
Navy then went out and won each of the five singles matches in straight sets. Daniel dropped just one game in winning his match at No. 3 singles against Ondre Cargill, Gutsche tallied a 6-2, 6-1 win over Dmitriy Borodkin at No. 4 singles and McDonald recorded a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Evan Ward at No. 2 singles to give Navy its match-clinching fourth point.
The remaining two matches were far closer than the first three were. Mark bounced back after being down two breaks of serve to Duk Young-Rak in the first and second sets to win a 7-5, 6-4 decision. Then Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) rallied from being down 5-2 in the second set to defeat Eric Ward by scores of 6-2, 7-5 at No. 5 singles.
"We kept the pressure on our opponents," said Officer, "and were consistent in playing aggressively. Morgan State lost 4-3 to Delaware and 5-2 to George Mason, so they have talent and we respect them."
Navy will resume its season on March 19 when the Mids play at Georgetown.
Navy (12-7) def. Morgan State (1-12), 6-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-1-2)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Ypung-Park, Duk / Ward, Eric, 8-4
2. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Tash, Jannick / Ward, Evan, 8-2
3. Borodkin, Dmitriy / Cargill, Ondre (MSU) def. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin, default
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Young-Park, Duk, 7-5, 6-4
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Ward, Evan, 6-2, 6-4
3. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Cargill, Ondre, 6-1, 6-0
4. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Borodkin, Dmitriy, 6-2, 6-1
5. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Ward, Eric, 6-2, 7-5
6. Tash, Jannick (MSU) def. Jones, Austin, by default