Men’s Tennis Opens Trip with Split
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy men’s tennis team began its series of matches in Texas over spring break by splitting a pair of matches on Monday. The Mids (13-11) lost a 7-0 decision to No. 39 SMU (9-3) in Dallas and defeated Prairie View A&M (3-16) by the score of 4-3 in Prairie View.
SMU recorded victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 doubles flights by the identical score of 6-2 to earn the doubles point. In the remaining match, SMU’s No. 2 team of Markus Kerner and Arkadijs Slobodkins held a 6-5 lead over Krishna Jana (Sr., Seabrook, Texas) and Aries Wong (Jr., Bethesda, Md.) when the match was stopped due to the Mustangs clinching the point.
The Mustangs would win each of the six singles matches in straight sets, but a number of the flights saw very competitive matches. Hunter Johnson, who is ranked 56th nationally, defeated Greg Durham (Fr., Melbourne Beach, Fla.), 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2, and Slobodkins edged Cameron Kirkpatrick (So., Menlo Park, Calif.), 6-3, 7-6, at the No. 5 flight.
“Cameron’s all-around game was on display in a competitive singles match,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “Aries and Krishna had their serving and return game working really well in a good doubles match.”
Navy would open its match against Prairie View by recording wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 flights to notch the doubles point. Navy’s No. 2 tandem of Matthew Lee (Fr., San Diego, Calif.) and Andrey Majkic (Jr., Jacksonville, Fla.) as well as its No. 3 duo of Andrew Hicks (So., Haddon Heights, N.J.) and Walker Sims (Jr., Memphis, Tenn.) won their respective match by the score of 6-3.
“Andrey and Matthew got off to an incredible start in doubles,” said Garner. “Their momentum really helped Andrew and Walker secure the doubles point.”
The score was tied at 1-1 when Majkic completed a 6-4, 6-2 win over Freddy Quintero at the No. 4 flight. The match was then tied at 2-2 until Gabriel Pilones (Fr., Bradenton, Fla.) won a 7-5, 6-3 decision over Ulrick Boyogueno to again give the Mids a one-point lead at 3-2. It was not until the last match of the day, the No. 2 contest between Lee and Xavier Lawrence, however, that the Mids earned the match-clinching fourth point. Lee defeated Xavier, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1.
“Andrey and Gabe were really solid from all areas of the court to secure the next two points,” said Garner. “Matthew played a stellar third set with the overall match tied at 3-3. The team really got behind him to help secure the victory.”
Navy will play two more matches Tuesday, a 10 a.m. at St. Mary’s (Texas) and a 3 p.m. match at UT Arlington.
No. 39 SMU (9-3) def. Navy (12-11), 7-0
Doubles –– SMU wins the doubles point (3-1)
1. Hunter Johnson / Yates Johnson (SMU) def. Pecor, Thomas / Durham, Greg, 6-2
2. Markus Kerner / Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) led Jana, Krishna / Wong, Aries, 6-5, unfinished
3. Tony Russell / Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron / Landwehr, Ian, 6-2
1. #50 Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) def. Pecor, Thomas, 6-2, 6-0
2. #56 Hunter Johnson (SMU) def. Durham, Greg, 6-3, 6-4
3. Samm Butler (SMU) def. Jana, Krishna, 6-2, 6-1
4. Markus Kerner (SMU) def. Landwehr, Ian, 6-0, 6-3
5. Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron, 6-3, 7-6
6. Tony Russell (SMU) def. Martin, Joshua, 6-0, 6-1
Navy (13-11) def. Prairie View A&M (3-16), 4-3
Doubles –– Navy wins the doubles point (2-3-1)
1. Boyogueno, Ulrick / Lawrence, Xavier (PVA&M) def. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel, 6-4
2. Lee, Matthew / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Avella, Sergio / Yadav, Anirudh, 6-3
3. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Quintero, Freddy / Suico, Zachary, 6-3
1. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Boyogueno, Ulrick, 7-5, 6-3
2. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Lawrence, Xavier, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1
3. Avella, Sergio (PVA&M) def. Sims, Walker, 7-5, 7-5
4. Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Quintero, Freddy, 6-4, 6-2
5. Yadav, Anirudh (PVA&M) def. Hicks, Andrew, 6-4, 6-3
6. Suico, Zachary (PVA&M) def. Cooke, Joseph, 6-2, 7-5