Men's Tennis Falls in Trip Finale
DAVIDSON, N.C. -- The Navy men's tennis team lost a 6-1 decision to Davidson Tuesday on the final day of the team's three-day trip to the Carolinas.
Navy (16-7) was able to play just two of its six scheduled matches on the trip. One of the matches that weather cancelled was a Tuesday afternoon contest at North Carolina A&T.
Davidson (10-4) won the first two doubles matches to finish to win the initial point of the match. The remaining match, the No. 3 flight contest between Navy's Peter Lohrbach (Fr., Little Neck, N.Y.) and Romesh Kahatapitiya (Fr., Virginia Beach, Va.) and the Davidson duo of Jack Riazzi and Yash Parikh, was tied at 5-5 when play was stopped.
Lohrbach earned Navy's lone point of the match when he posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over David Hager at No. 5 singles.
Navy had several other good chances in the other singles matches. Gabriel Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) fell, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8) at No. 4 singles, Kahatapitiya lost a 6-3, 7-6 decision at No. 6 singles and Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) and Zach Jennings (So., Snellville, Ga.) both lost by the identical score of 6-3, 6-4 in their matches at the Nos. 1 and 2 flights, respectively.
"Davidson played a good match today," said Navy associate head coach John Moreland, who was with this half of the team today. "They came out and set the tone in doubles. I was happy to see our guys bounce back in singles. Peter did a good job of earning the lone win today. Gabe and Romesh also had opportunities to win their matches.
"It was a good experience to play a quality team outside, and this will be good preparation heading into league season."
Navy is now off from competition until March 23 when the Mids play at Hampton and at Norfolk State.
Davidson (10-4) 6, Navy (16-7) 1
Doubles -- Davidson wins the doubles point (1-2)
1. Axel Fries / Artem Khrapko (DAV) def. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) 6-0
2. Shamael Chaudhry / David Hager (DAV) def. Pilones, Gabriel / Jennings, Zach (NAVY) 6-4
3. Jack Riazzi / Yash Parikh (DAV) vs. Lohrbach, Peter / Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) 5-5, unfinished
1. Artem Khrapko (DAV) def. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) 6-3, 6-4
2. Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) def. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) 6-3, 6-4
3. Thomas Mason (DAV) def. Wong, Aries (NAVY) 7-5, 6-0
4. Axel Fries (DAV) def. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. David Hager (DAV) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jack Riazzi (DAV) def. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) 6-3, 7-6