Men’s Tennis Loses Pair of Matches
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy men’s tennis team lost a pair of matches Tuesday in Texas. The Mids (13-13) dropped a 4-3 decision to St. Mary’s (6-4) in San Antonio as well as a 7-0 match to UT Arlington (10-4) in Arlington.
Navy’s match against St. Mary’s, which is ranked 23rd nationally on the NCAA Division II level, began with three very close doubles matches. Navy’s Matthew Lee (Fr., San Diego, Calif.) and Andrey Majkic (Jr., Jacksonville, Fla.) completed a 6-3 victory over Jose Antelo and Michael Maciel at the No. 2 flight, but St. Mary’s would go on to record 6-4 wins at No. 3 and then No. 1 to earn the point.
“Matthew and Andrey played a really strong set to give us the lead for the doubles point,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “St. Mary’s was too strong at the other two flights. Zach Jennings (Fr., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (Fr., Bradenton, Fla.) at No. 1 and Walker Sims (Jr., Memphis, Tenn.) and Andrew Hicks (So., Haddon Heights, N.J.) at No. 3 both fought back from big deficits but each came up a little short.”
The Rattlers would then win the first two singles matches to finish to take a 3-0 lead. The Mids placed their first point on the scoreboard when Jennings defeated Jeremiah Gonzalez, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2, then drew to within 3-2 on a 6-3, 6-2 victory by Lee over Antelo at the No. 3 flight. A 7-5, 6-4 win by Alex Joseph over Majkic at No. 5 singles secured the overall victory for the Rattlers.
The final match on the courts saw Pilones post a 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6) victory over Maciel at the No. 1 flight.
“The doubles point proved to be the difference,” said Garner. “Gabe, Zach and Matthew played really well to secure our three points. Andrey also had a really close match and had opportunities in both sets. It came down to the outcome of a couple of points here and there.”
The three doubles matches also were close in Navy’s contest at UT Arlington. The Mavericks would post narrow wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 flights by the identical score of 6-4 to earn the point. The remaining match saw Navy’s No. 1 tandem of Thomas Pecor (Sr., Houston, Texas) and Greg Durham (Fr., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) leading Jhonathan Gonzalez and Mauricio Del Rio, the No. 52 team in the country, 4-3, when the match was halted due to the doubles point being determined.
UTA would win each of the six singles matches in straight sets to earn the victory. Included in those decisions were Guanarteme Nuez defeating Aries Wong (Jr., Bethesda, Md.), 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) at No. 2 and Pablo Colvee recording a 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 win over Joshua Martin (Jr., Foley, Ala.) at No. 6.
“We played solid doubles today,” said Navy associate head coach John Moreland. “The guys competed well. I have to compliment UTA on how they competed in singles and made it tough for our guys to get into the match. We played better as the match progressed. It is nice to see Aries back from his injury.”
Navy will take Wednesday off from competition before returning to the courts Thursday for matches at UTSA (noon EDT) and Incarnate Word (2 p.m. EDT) in San Antonio.
St. Mary’s (6-4) def. Navy (13-12), 4-3
Doubles – St. Mary’s wins the doubles point (2-1-3)
1. Dockery, Adam / Gonzalez, Jeremiah (STM-T) def. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel, 6-4
2. Lee, Matthew / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Antelo, Jose / Maciel, Michael, 6-3
3. Joseph, Alex / Popovic, Bojan (STM-T) def. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker, 6-4
1. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Maciel, Michael, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Gonzalez, Jeremiah, 6-2, 6-3
3. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Antelo, Jose, 6-3, 6-2
4. Dockery, Adam (STM-T) def. Sims, Walker, 6-1, 6-0
5. Joseph, Alex (STM-T) def. Majkic, Andrey, 7-5, 6-4
6. Popovic, Bojan (STM-T) def. McNair, Seth, 6-2, 6-0
UT Arlington (10-4) def. Navy (13-13), 7-0
Doubles – UT Arlington wins the doubles point (2-3)
1. Pecor, Thomas / Durham, Greg (NAVY) led #52 Jhonathan Gonzalez / Mauricio Del Rio, 4-3, unfinished
2. Mario Muniesa / Marcos Sanz (UTA) def. Landwehr, Ian / Kirkpatrick, Cameron, 6-4
3. Daniel Armengol / Guanarteme Nuez (UTA) def. Jana, Krishna / Martin, Joshua, 6-4
1. Mario Muniesa (UTA) def. Pecor, Thomas, 6-2, 6-1
2. Guanarteme Nuez (UTA) def. Wong, Aries, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Jhonathan Gonzalez (UTA) def. Jana, Krishna, 6-4, 6-1
4. Daniel Armengol (UTA) def. Landwehr, Ian, 6-1, 6-0
5. Mauricio Del Rio (UTA) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron, 6-1, 6-0
6. Pablo Colvee (UTA) def. Martin, Joshua, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4