Men's Tennis Drops Two Close Matches
SAN ANTONIO, Texas –– The Navy men’s tennis team (13-15) suffered a pair of close losses on Thursday in San Antonio, Texas, losing to UTSA (5-12) and Incarnate Word (5-11).
The Roadrunners began their match against the Mids by winning three close matches to earn the doubles point. Patrick Poestinger and Juri Reckow won the first match, a 6-3 decision over Cameron Kirkpatrick (So., Menlo Park, Calif.) and Ian Landwehr (Fr., Daleville, Ind.) at No. 2 doubles, then Fabian Brand and Igor Cantanhede secured the doubles point for UTSA with a 6-4 victory over Zach Jennings (Fr., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (Fr., Bradenton, Fla.) at the No. 1 flight.
The remaining match also was decided by the score of 6-4, with Christian Carrillo and Takeru Watanabe posting the win at the No. 3 flight over Matthew Lee (Fr., San Diego, Calif.) and Andrey Majkic (Jr., Jacksonville, Fla.).
The Mids fell behind 2-0 after Watanabe posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over Landwehr at the No. 4 flight, then the margin became 3-0 after Kai Breitbach defeated Pilones, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1 singles.
Navy placed its first point on the scoreboard when Jennings defeated Reckow, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 2 singles, then closed to within 3-2 on a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 victory by Lee over Axel Cronje at No. 3 singles.
UTSA closed out the match when Catanhede defeated Majkic, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 5 flight. The last match on the courts saw Gabriel Borunda defeat Kirkpatrick, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7), at No. 6 singles.
“Zach and Gabe as well as Andrey and Matthew were in their matches all the way to the last point, but UTSA came up with some great serves,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “In singles, Zach and Matthew played well winning in straight sets. Cam and Andrey were just a couple of points away from turning the match around but UTSA came up with some great passing shots.”
Navy and Incarnate Word also played three close doubles matches. The Cardinals won both completed matches to earn the doubles point. The No. 2 team of Sebastian Mortier and Caleb Dyer defeated Krishna Jana (Sr., Seabrook, Texas) and Aries Wong (Jr., Bethesda, Md.), 6-3, then Ivanhoe Lissanevitch and Nedim Ahmic won in a tiebreaker –– 7-4 –– against Andrew Hicks (So., Haddon Heights, N.J.) and Walker Sims (Jr., Memphis, Tenn.) at the No. 3 flight to garner the point. Navy’s Thomas Pecor (Sr., Houston, Texas) and Greg Durham (Fr., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) held a 6-5 lead over Francisco Bendana and Joey Vatanadilok at No. 1 doubles when it was halted due to the doubles point being finalized.
All of the singles matches were close ones, as well, with the Cardinals winning three of the first four matches to finish to post the overall victory. Mortier defeated Pecor, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) at No. 1, Vatanadilok recorded a 6-3, 6-4 win over Jana at No. 4 and Ahmic posted a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory over Sims at the No. 5 flight.
Navy’s victory came from Joshua Martin (Jr., Foley, Ala.) as he posted a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Zachary VanderHeidan at No. 6 singles.
In the remaining matches, Wong led Bendana, 4-6, 6-4, 4-3, at No. 2 and Lissanevitch held a 7-5, 4-6, 2-0, advantage at No. 3.
“Our teams of Walker and Andrew and Thomas and Greg came out playing great in doubles,” said Garner. “Incarnate Word picked away at the leads and eventually won both matches.
“Aries, Greg, Thomas and Walker all fought back in singles after dropping the first set while Josh played well to put us on the board. Walker and Thomas were close to bringing us back but their opponents came up with excellent shots to get to the four points.”
Navy will conclude its trip to Texas with two matches on Saturday. The Mids will face St. Edwards at 10 a.m. (EDT) in Austin and play Air Force at 11 a.m. at TCU in Dallas.
UTSA (5-12) def. Navy (13-14), 5-2
Doubles – UTSA wins the doubles point (2-1-3)
1. Fabian Brand / Igor Cantanhede (UTSA) def. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel, 6-4
2. Patrick Poestinger / Juri Reckow (UTSA) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron / Landwehr, Ian, 6-3
3. Christian Carrillo / Takeru Watanabe (UTSA) def. Lee, Matthew / Majkic, Andrey, 6-4
1. Kai Breitbach (UTSA) def. Pilones, Gabriel, 6-2, 6-3
2. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Juri Reckow, 6-3, 7-5
3. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Axel Cronje, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Takeru Watanabe (UTSA) def. Landwehr, Ian, 6-3, 6-1
5. Igor Cantanhede (UTSA) def. Majkic, Andrey, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Gabriel Borunda (UTSA) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
Incarnate Word (5-11) def. Navy (13-15), 4-1
Doubles – Incarnate Word wins the doubles point
1. Pecor, Thomas / Durham, Greg (NAVY) led Francisco Bendana / Joey Vatanadilok, 6-5, unfinished
2. Sebastian Mortier / Caleb Dyer (UIW) def. Wong, Aries / Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 6-3
3. Ivanhoe Lissanevitch / Nedim Ahmic (UIW) def. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) 7-6 (7-4)
1. Sebastian Mortier (UIW) def. Pecor, Thomas, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) led Francisco Bendana, 4-6, 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
3. Ivanhoe Lissanevitch (UIW) vs. Durham, Greg, 7-5, 4-6, 2-0, unfinished
4. Joey Vatanadilok (UIW) def. Jana, Krishna, 6-3, 6-4
5. Nedim Ahmic (UIW) def. Sims, Walker, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Zachary VanderHeidan, 6-3, 6-3