Men's Tennis Defeats Air Force
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy men’s tennis team closed its spring break trip to Texas by posting a 4-1 victory over Air Force (6-10) in a match played at TCU in Dallas on Saturday. The Mids (14-16) also lost a 5-2 decision to St. Edward’s (10-5) in Austin earlier in the day.
The Mids began their first match against the Falcons in over 40 years by winning the doubles point. Navy’s No. 1 tandem of Greg Durham (Fr., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) and Thomas Pecor (Sr., Houston, Texas) defeated Tadhq Collins and Isaac Perez by the score of 6-4. The Mids also won at No. 2 doubles as Zach Jennings (Fr., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (Fr., Bradenton, Fla.) posted a 6-1 victory over Max Olson and Luke Sanderson.
“In doubles,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner, “Zach and Gabe played very well. Thomas and Greg made a nice comeback to secure the doubles point.”
Both teams won a singles match in straight sets to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Mids. Navy’s victory came when Jennings defeated Mack Galvin, 6-3, 7-5, at the No. 5 flight. The Mids would secure the overall match with a pair of three-set victories at the Nos. 1 and 6 flights. Pecor recorded a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 win over Olson at No. 1 and Matthew Lee (Fr., San Diego, Calif.) held off Collins, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 6.
Each team had players holding slight leads in the third set when those matches were stopped due to the Mids earning their fourth team point.
“Zach got off to a strong start and played well throughout to get us the second point,” said Garner. “Matthew had a strong comeback after dropping the first set and Thomas finished really strong in his singles match to clinch the victory.
“There was great energy from both teams. You could see how much it meant to everyone involved in the match.”
A series of close matches also were found in the Navy vs. St. Edward’s match. The Hilltoppers, who are ranked 25th nationally on the Division II level, earned the doubles point with wins in two of the three matches. Each team won a match by the score of 8-5.
Navy won a pair of straight-set singles matches –– Joshua Martin (Jr., Foley, Ala.) won at No. 4 and Andrew Hicks (So., Haddon Heights, N.J.) won at No. 5 –– with St. Edward’s also winning a straight-set decision to even the match at 2-2. The Hilltoppers would win a trio of three-set matches to post the victory.
Navy will return to the Mid-Atlantic Region this week to resume Patriot League play with a match March 25 at Lehigh.
St. Edward’s (10-5) def. Navy (13-16), 5-2
Doubles –– St. Edward’s wins the doubles point (1-3-2)
1. Charlie Shin / Chase Bartlett (SEU) def. Jana, Krishna / Martin, Joshua, 8-3
2. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Zac Robinson / Mateus de Col, 8-5
3. Davor Ivkovic / Logan Buignet (SEU) def. Landwehr, Ian / McNair, Seth, 8-5
1. Charlie Shin (SEU) def. Jana, Krishna, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
2. Chase Bartlett (SEU) def. Sims, Walker, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Mateus de Col (SEU) def. Landwehr, Ian, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Will Drumwright, 6-1, 7-5
5. Hicks, Andrew (NAVY) def. Logan Buignet, 6-2, 6-4
6. Zac Robinson (SEU) def. Cooke, Joseph, 6-3, 6-2
Navy (14-16) def. Air Force (6-10), 4-1
Doubles –– Navy wins the doubles point
1. Durham, Greg / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Collins, Tadhg / Perez, Isaac, 6-4
2. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Olson, Max / Sanderson, Luke, 6-1
3. Fumagalli, Lucas / Galvin, Mack (AF) def. Majkic, Andrey / Wong, Aries, 6-3
1. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Olson, Max, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Fumagalli, Lucas (AF) led Wong, Aries, 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 2-1, unfinished
3. Durham, Greg (NAVY) led Sanderson, Luke, 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 2-0, unfinished
4. Perez, Isaac (AF) def. Pilones, Gabriel, 7-6, 6-2
5. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Galvin, Mack, 6-3, 7-5
6. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Collins, Tadhg, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4