March 20, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Sophomore Alex Gaines clinched the match point in the No. 6 Flight to lead Navy men’s tennis past Villanova, 5-2, Wednesday at the Tose Family Tennis Center. The win improves the Mids overall record to 12-5.
“It was a tale of two matches today,” head coach John Officer said. “I was not very pleased with our performance in the doubles matches, but the way we bounced back in the singles matches was great to see.”
Villanova (0-10) grabbed the doubles point to begin the match. The Wildcats won the doubles point with No. 1 duo of Thomas O’Brien/Kelly Donaldson, 8-2 and No. 3 combo of Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren, 8-6.
Navy (12-5) then regrouped and won three straight matches. Sophomore Austin Jones won the No. 3 flight in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-2, to begin the run. Junior Calvin Mark in the No. 2 flight and freshman Krishna Jana in the No. 4 followed up with wins in straight sets to give the Mids a 3-1 lead.
The Wildcats caught a break in the No. 1 singles, as Navy’s Thomas Pecor was unable to finish the match in the No. 1 flight due to sickness.
Navy responded by clinching the match point in the No. 6 singles from Gaines. Gaines fell behind in the first set to Villanova’s Michael Rosengren, 6-4. Gaines bounced back with a 6-1 winner in the second set and a 6-2 winner in the third set to clinch the match.
“If I was able to name a man of the match today, it would have to be Gaines,” said Officer. “I was not happy with the way he played in his doubles match and I spoke with him about that after that match. However, he responded with tremendous resilience in the No. 6 singles to win us the match.”
Freshman Tyler Tossavainen
capped off the match in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2, against Tim Abbracciamento in the No. 5 flight for Navy’s fifth and final point.
Navy looks to carry its success into the weekend with matches against Maryland-Eastern Shore (Saturday) and Richmond (Sunday). Both matches will be played at the Tose Family Center.
Navy (12-5) def. Villanova (0-10), 5-2
Doubles -- Villanova wins the doubles point (3-1-2)
1. O’Brien, Thomas / Donaldson, Kelly (VU) def. Jones, Austin / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY), 8-2
2. Tossavainen, Tyler / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Abbracciamento, Tim / Noyes, Bradley (VU), 8-4
3. Colonnese, Matt / Rosengren, Michael (VU) def. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY), 8-6
1. Miller, Mark (VU) def. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY), 6-4, 3-0 retired
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Donaldson, Kelly (VU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Peyton, Ryan (VU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Noyes, Bradley (VU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) def. Abbracciamento, Tim (VU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Rosengren, Michael (VU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2