Mids Open League Campaign with Win Over Bucknell
March 23, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team successfully opened its Patriot League season by posting a 5-2 victory over Bucknell Saturday at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis.
"We played extremely well," said Navy head coach John Officer.
Navy (13-8, 1-0) won the doubles point from Bucknell (7-5, 0-1) by winning matches at the Nos. 2 and 3 flights. Alex Gaines and Alex Sisk first tallied an 8-5 win over Octavio Canibe and Aidan Lynch at the No. 3 flight. After Bucknell's No. 1 tandem won its match, Navy's team of Blake Daniel and Nicholas Gutsche outlasted Kelly Morque and Evan Zimmer by the score of 9-7 to win its No. 2 doubles match and the point for the Mids.
"We clinched the doubles point when our No. 2 team broke serve with an 8-7 lead," said Officer. "And Alex Sisk was a key player in our No. 3 team winning its match."
Gaines gave the Mids a 2-0 lead when he completed a 6-2, 6-0 win over Ryan Marcil at No. 5 singles. Rosen topped Sisk by the score of 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6 singles to slice the margin in half, but then Gutsche notched a 6-1, 6-1 win over Josh Katten at No. 4 singles. Bucknell's Nick Bybel defeated Calvin Mark in straight sets at No. 1 singles, but the Mids clinched the overall match when Peter McDonald defeated Morque by the score of 7-5, 4-6, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.
The last match to finish up saw Daniel win his No. 3 singles match against Zimmer when Zimmer had to retire due to cramping when Daniel held a 5-3 lead in the third set.
"Peter took control of his match," said Officer, "and both Nick and Alex Gaines were really sharp in their matches.
"All in all, for it being a league opener, we played extremely well and were on top of our game. I think we sent a message that we will be a team to contend with."
Navy continues its weekend at the Tose Family Tennis Center with a Sunday match against Colgate at 2:30 p.m.
Navy (13-8 / 1-0) def. Bucknell (7-5 / 0-1), 5-2
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-1-2)
1. Bybel, Nick / Katten, Josh (BUCK) def. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) 8-6
2. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Morque, Kelly / Zimmer, Evan (BUCK) 9-7
3. Gaines, Alex / Sisk, Alex (NAVY) def. Canibe, Octavio / Lynch, Aidan (BUCK) 8-5
1. Bybel, Nick (BUCK) def. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Morque, Kelly (BUCK) 7-5, 4-6, 6-0
3. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Zimmer, Evan (BUCK) 5-7, 6-3, 5-3, retired
4. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Katten, Josh (BUCK) 6-1, 6-1
5. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Marcil, Ryan (BUCK) 6-2, 6-0
6. Rosen, Kyle (BUCK) def. Sisk, Alex (NAVY) 6-2, 6-2