Men's Tennis Match Slips Away From Mids
March 23, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A strong start to the match by the Navy men's tennis team went for naught as the Mids lost the last five singles contests to be completed to drop a 5-2 decision to Richmond, Sunday afternoon at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis.
The Mids (13-6) won the first set in four of the five singles matches that were eventually won by the Spiders (8-10).
"It is a very disappointing loss," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We had them beat. We had them down and we let them up. You can't do that against a good team. You have to finish."
The doubles point came down to the third and final match to be completed. The Mids would earn the point when their team of Alex Gaines (So., Wilmington, N.C.) and Krishna Jana (Fr., Seabrook, Texas) won in a tiebreaker by the score of 7-5 against Richmond's Noah Fenton and Jonathan Quenard.
Austin Jones (So., Dallas, Texas) promptly gave the Mids a 2-0 lead when he posted a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Ethan Dunbar, who is ranked 17th in singles in the ITA Atlantic Region, at the No. 1 flight.
"Austin was battling the flu today," said Officer. "He was down a break in the first set and came all the way back to win the set. Then he was down a break right from the start of the second set and again came all the way back. He just did everything well today. He served well, his ground strokes were penetrating, he volleyed well. Ethan Dunbar is a very good player. He beat Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) last year. Austin just did a great job considering he was battling the flu. He was impressive."
The victory by Jones would be the last one recorded by a Mid.
"We set ourselves up in a good position and we just didn't finish," said Officer. "It is always disappointing when you lose, but even more disappointing when you have an opportunity to finish and you don't do it. Hopefully we learn some lessons from this and the next time out when we have a tight match and a team down we will close the deal. We just couldn't do that today when we had opportunities."
Today's match was similar to the 2013 meeting between the teams in which Navy held a 2-0 lead before losing to Richmond by the score of 4-3.
Navy will open its slate of Patriot League matches this coming weekend with matches at Bucknell on Saturday and at Colgate one week from today.
Richmond (8-10) def. Navy (13-6), 5-2
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (2-1-3)
1. Dunbar, Ethan / Dunbar, Jacob (RICH) def. Jones, Austin / Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) 8-5
2. Daniel, Blake / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Hahn, Alex / Teague, Canyon (RICH) 8-2
3. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Fenton, Noah / Quenard, Jonathan (RICH) 8-7 (7-5)
1. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Dunbar, Ethan (RICH) 6-4, 6-2
2. Dunbar, Jacob (RICH) def. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Hahn, Alex (RICH) def. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Teague, Canyon (RICH) def. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 6-7 (5-7), 6-1, 6-4
5. Quenard, Jonathan (RICH) def. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) 6-2, 6-2
6. Fenton, Noah (RICH) def. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-1