March 24, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -
The Navy men's tennis team (14-8, 2-0 PL) defeated visiting Colgate (6-6, 1-1 PL), 6-1, at the Tose Family Tennis Center on Sunday. Navy won the doubles point and claimed victories at the top five singles slots.
"Colgate came to play and they fought us really hard," said head coach John Officer. "I was pleased with the way we played under that pressure."
Navy is off to a strong start in Patriot League play at 2-0, as the squad also defeated Bucknell, 5-2, on Saturday.
"We sent a strong message to the rest of the league this weekend that we are ready to contend," said Officer.
The No. 3 doubles team of freshman Alex Gaines (Wilmington, N.C.) and sophomore Alex Sisk (Clarksville, Ind.) got Navy off to a good start by defeating Bobby Berkowitz and Alan Pleat, 8-5.
"That's a new team we are using at No. 3 doubles and they played extremely well and won for the second day in a row," said Officer.
Navy lost at No. 2 doubles but the No. 1 duo of sophomore Calvin Mark (Union City, Calif.) and sophomore Peter McDonald (Chapel Hill, N.C.) defeated Luke Gensburg and Harry Jewett, 8-5, to clinch the doubles point.
Mark carried momentum from clinching the doubles point into singles play as he was the first to finish his match, defeating Gensburg at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-3.
"Calvin was really on top of his game and he played extremely well today," said Officer.
Colgate won at No. 6 singles to pull within 2-1, before McDonald defeated Alec Goldstein at No. 2, 6-4, 6-4, to get Navy within one point of clinching the match.
However, the fourth point would be elusive for Navy as the final three remaining singles matches went into the third set. Navy was finally able to clinch the team victory when sophomore Blake Daniel (Overland Park, Kan.) defeated Berkowitz at No. 3 singles, 2-6, 7-5, 6-4.
Navy also won the other two three-setters with Gaines picking up a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 win at No. 5 over Pleat and senior Nicholas Gutsche (Sarasota, Fla.) won at No. 4 over Nick Laub, 6-2, 6-7 (4), 10-8.
"We really had to fight for that fourth point," said Officer. "The 3-4-5 players didn't have their best shot today but they still all pulled out the wins. That's the sign of a good player to be able to do that."
Navy will next host Richmond on Saturday, March 30 at 11:00 AM.
Navy def. Colgate, 6-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-2-1)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Gensburg, Luke / Jewett, Harry (COLG), 8-5
2. Goldstein, Alec / Laub, Nick (COLG) def. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY), 8-3
3. Gaines, Alex / Sisk, Alex (NAVY) def. Berkowitz, Bobby / Pleat, Alan (COLG), 8-5
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Gensburg, Luke (COLG), 6-2, 6-3
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Goldstein, Alec (COLG), 6-4, 6-4
3. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Berkowitz, Bobby (COLG), 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Laub, Nick (COLG), 6-2, 6-7 (4), 10-8
5. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Pleat, Alan (COLG), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Beam, John (COLG) def. Sisk, Alex (NAVY), 6-3, 6-3