March 30, 2014
VERONA, N.Y. -- Colgate won the doubles point and a trio of straight set singles matches to post a 5-2 victory over the Navy men's tennis team Sunday afternoon at the Turning Stone Resort in Verona, N.Y.
"Colgate played very well today throughout its lineup," said Navy associate head coach John Moreland, whose Mids played a lengthy match Saturday at Bucknell while Colgate had yesterday off from competition. "They exposed some weaknesses of ours that we will need to address in the coming days."
The teams split the first two doubles matches to be completed, but Colgate's (8-6, 2-2 Patriot League) No. 1 tandem of Bobby Berkowitz and Luke Gensburg recorded an 8-6 win over Navy's (14-7, 1-1) team of Austin Jones (So., Dallas, Texas) and Thomas Pecor (Fr., Houston, Texas) to earn the doubles point.
"We didn't serve well in doubles," said Moreland, "and on fast courts such as what we played on today, not serving well really hurts you."
Navy evened the match at one point apiece as Blake Daniel (Jr., Overland Park, Kan.) tallied a 7-6 (7-1), 6-2 win over Archer McFall at No. 4 singles. After Colgate's Luke Gensburg won in straight sets over Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) at No. 1 singles, Jones bounced back from his doubles loss to defeat Berkowitz, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 2 singles to tie the score at 2-2.
Colgate clinched the match with straight set wins by Nick Laub over Alex Gaines (So., Wilmington, N.C.) at No. 5 singles and by Jake Hirschberg over Tyler Tossavainen (Fr., Fleming Island, Fla.) at No. 6 singles.
The remaining match saw Colgate's Alan Pleat win a 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 decision against Pecor at the No. 3 flight.
"Austin was down a break early in the first set of his match, so it was great to see him be able to win in straight sets," said Moreland. "It was an excellent job by Blake to out together a pretty convincing win. We came up short in the other matches."
Navy will play a pair of matches in Annapolis this coming weekend. The Mids will play host to Temple on Saturday and then Lafayette on Sunday. Weather permitting, the matches will be played outdoors at the USNA Tennis Courts.
Colgate (8-6, 2-2) def. Navy (14-7, 1-1), 5-2
Doubles -- Colgate wins the doubles point (3-2-1)
1. Berkowitz, Bobby / Gensburg, Luke (COLG) def. Jones, Austin / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) 8-6
2. Daniel, Blake / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. McFall, Archer / Pleat, Alan (COLG) 8-5
3. Haile, Tom / Laub, Nick (COLG) def. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 8-3
1. Gensburg, Luke (COLG) def. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Berkowitz, Bobby (COLG) 6-4, 6-4
3. Pleat, Alan (COLG) def. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. McFall, Archer (COLG) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
5. Laub, Nick (COLG) def. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) 6-1, 6-1
6. Hirschberg, Jake (COLG) def. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) 6-1, 6-0