Men’s Tennis Posts League Win
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy men’s tennis team won the first six matches to be completed to post a 5-2 victory over Loyola Friday afternoon at the Greenspring Racquet Club in Lutherville, Md. The win by the Mids improved their overall record to 17-17 and their Patriot League mark to 2-1, while the Greyhounds saw their records fall to 5-9 overall and 2-4 in league play with the loss.
The Mids had split their squad today to play a second match at Lafayette, but poor weather in Easton, Pa., forced it to be canceled.
Navy lost a combined six games in winning the three doubles matches from Loyola. Greg Durham (Fr., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) and Thomas Pecor (Sr., Houston, Texas) won the match at the No. 1 flight without dropping a game to Blest Jones and Brett Shriver, then Zach Jennings (Fr., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (Fr., Bradenton, Fla.) won a 6-3 decision over Reid Burch and C.J. Cash at No. 2 doubles. The remaining match at the No. 3 flight saw Krishna Jana (Sr., Seabrook, Texas) and Aries Wong (Jr., Bethesda, Md.) defeat Kyle Gower and Brian Hoffrath by the score of 6-3.
Jana made the Navy advantage 2-0 with his 6-4, 6-4 victory over Matt Fitzmaurice at No. 6 singles, with Wong making the score 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Hoffrath at No. 2 singles. Jennings won the ensuing match to finish, defeating Cash, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 5 single to secure the overall victory for the Mids.
Navy’s final point of the day was recorded by Pecor with his 4-6, 7-6 (7-0), 1-0 (10-6) victory at No. 1 singles over Jones.
“Thomas and Greg served and returned well today to secure the doubles point,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “In singles, Aries kept improving his play as the match progressed. Krishna came away with some timely shots to break serve in both sets. Zach made a successful comeback in the first set and continued his good play to clinch the fourth point for the win.”
Navy will play two more matches Saturday at Bucknell (noon) and Mount St. Mary’s (2 p.m.). Note that both start times are one hour later than was previously announced.
Navy (17-17 / 2-1) def. Loyola (5-9 / 2-4), 5-2
Doubles –– Navy wins the doubles point (1-2-3)
1. Durham, Greg / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Jones, Blest / Shriver, Brett (LOY) 6-0
2. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Burch, Reid / Cash, C.J. (LOY) 6-3
3. Jana, Krishna / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Gower, Kyle / Hoffarth, Brian (LOY) 6-3
1. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Jones, Blest (LOY) 4-6, 7-6 (7-0), 1-0 (10-6)
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Hoffarth, Brian (LOY) 6-4, 6-1
3. Burch, Reid (LOY) def. Durham, Greg (NAVY) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Blessing, Tyler (LOY) def. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Cash, C.J. (LOY) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Fitzmaurice, Matt (LOY) 6-4, 6-4