Men’s Tennis Posts Two Wins Saturday
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– Winning the doubles point proved vital in helping the Navy men’s tennis team record a pair of victories Saturday. The Mids (19-17, 3-1 Patriot League), who split their squad for the day, posted a 5-2 victory over Bucknell (8-15, 2-2 Patriot League) in Lewisburg, Pa., and a 4-3 win over Mount St. Mary’s (4-13) in Emmitsburg, Md.
The doubles point in both matches was not decided until the third and final flight in each finished. In the match against the Bison, Greg Durham (Fr., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) and Thomas Pecor (Sr., Houston, Texas) did not lose a game in defeating Bryan Adams and Andrei Vitiuc at the No. 1 flight. Bucknell evened the proceedings when its No. 2 team of Ben Gerber and Daniel Wright held off Zach Jennings (Fr., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (Fr., Bradenton, Fla.) by the score of 6-4. Navy took the 1-0 lead thanks to Krishna Jana (Sr., Seabrook, Texas) and Aries Wong (Jr., Bethesda, Md.) combining for a 7-6 (7-4) win over Max Haase and Max Kane at the No. 3 flight.
“Greg and Thomas were able to get out to a quick lead to help build an advantage for the doubles point,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “Krishna and Aries played a nice tiebreaker to secure it for us.”
That 1-0 lead grew to 2-0 when Pilones won a 6-1, 6-4 decision at No. 4 singles against Adams, then it was increased to 3-0 with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 victory by Jennings over Max McDonald at No. 5 singles. Wong secured the overall match for the Mids as he was next to finish. He posted a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Vitiuc at the No. 2 flight to record the fourth team point.
Each of the remaining three matches were extended into three sets. Navy’s final point came from Durham as he defeated Kane, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-3) at No. 3 singles.
“Gabe played a nice match to get us that 2-0 lead,” said Garner. “All of the other matches went back and forth, with Aries and Zach coming through in third sets to clinch the match.”
A tiebreaker in the third and final match also determined the doubles point between the Mids and the Mountaineers. The No. 2 Mount St. Mary’s tandem of Louis Tonon and Brandon Workotter defeated Cameron Kirkpatrick (So., Menlo Park, Calif.) and Ian Landwehr (Fr., Daleville, Ind.), 6-3, in the first match to finish. The Mids evened things up at one match apiece when their No. 3 team of Andrew Hicks (So., Haddon Heights, N.J.) and Walker Sims (Jr., Memphis, Tenn.) won a 6-4 decision over Zachary Burau and Mateo DeSomocurcio. Navy earned the point when Matthew Lee (Fr., San Diego, Calif.) and Andrey Majkic (Jr., Jacksonville, Fla.) defeated Jean Armstrong and Darren Mast, 7-6 (8-6), at the No. 1 flight.
“It was an excellent college match with both singles and doubles going down to the wire,” said Navy associate head coach John Moreland. “Andrey and Matt had to close out a tight tiebreaker to secure the doubles point, which was a both huge lift and advantage.”
Mount St. Mary’s tied the overall score at 1-1 when Wortkotter defeated Majkic, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 4 singles. Navy regained the led after Kirkpatrick closed out a 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 match over Armstrong at the No. 6 flight, then Lee defeated DeSomocurcio, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), at No. 1 singles to make the score 3-1 in favor of the Mids.
The score would eventually be tied again as the Mount posted three-set wins at both Nos. 3 and 5 singles. The last match on the courts also was extended into three sets. Sims would outlast Mast, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5, to give Navy the narrowest of victories.
“Cameron got us out to an early lead,” said Moreland, “with Matt coming back from trailing 5-2 in the tiebreaker to clinch his second set. I have to take off my hat to Mount St. Mary’s for battling back to tie it at 3-3. In the end, Walker pulled it out for us after being down 5-4 in the third set.”
Navy will close its regular season by playing at Army West Point on Saturday, April 15.
Navy (18-17 / 3-1) def. Bucknell (8-15 / 2-2), 5-2
Doubles –– Navy wins the doubles point (1-2-3)
1. Durham, Greg / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Bryan Adams / Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 6-0
2. Ben Gerber / Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) def. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) 6-4
3. Jana, Krishna / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Max Haase / Max Kane (BUCKNELL) 7-6 (7-4)
1. Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) def. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Durham, Greg (NAVY) def. Max Kane (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-3)
4. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Bryan Adams (BUCKNELL) 6-1, 6-4
5. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Max McDonald (BUCKNELL) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Ben Gerber (BUCKNELL) def. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 7-5
Navy (19-17) def. Mount St. Mary’s (4-13), 4-3
Doubles –– Navy wins the doubles point (2-3-1)
1. Lee, Matthew / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Jean Armstrong / Darren Mast (MOUNT) 7-6 (8-6)
2. Louis Tonon / Brandon Wortkotter (MOUNT) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron / Landwehr, Ian (NAVY) 6-3
3. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Zachary Burau / Mateo DeSomocurcio (MOUNT) 6-4
1. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Mateo DeSomocurcio (MOUNT) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Darren Mast (MOUNT) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
3. Louis Tonon (MOUNT) def. Landwehr, Ian (NAVY) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Brandon Wortkotter (MOUNT) def. Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) 6-3, 6-3
5. Peter Landis (MOUNT) def. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Kirkpatrick, Cameron (NAVY) def. Jean Armstrong (MOUNT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1