Men’s Tennis Earns Two League Wins
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy men’s tennis team posted a pair of victories over Patriot League foes on Saturday. The Mids (22-10, 5-1 Patriot League) defeated Holy Cross (2-12, 0-7), 6-1, in a match played in Worcester, Mass., and Bucknell (5-20, 2-4), 7-0, in a contest played in Annapolis.
Navy’s match with Holy Cross began with the Mids winning each of the three doubles matches. Romesh Kahatapitiya (Fr., Virginia Beach, Va.) and Joshua Martin (Sr., Foley, Ala.) combined for a 6-1 win at No. 1 doubles, Andrew Hicks (Jr., Haddon Heights, N.J.) and Cameron Kirkpatrick (Jr., Menlo Park, Calif.) posted a 6-3 win at the No. 2 flight and Parker Hayslett (Jr., Clearwater, Fla.) and Andrey Majkic (Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.) recorded a 6-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
The Mids would go on to win Nos. 1-5 singles in straight sets. The top half of the lineup saw Kahatapitiya win 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1, Majkick record a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 2 and Martin win a 6-4, 6-3 decision at No. 3. Navy’s additional winners were Kirkpatrick at No. 4, 6-2, 6-3, and Hicks at No. 5, 6-0, 6-2.
“We played well today,” said Navy associate head coach John Moreland, who was with the team in Worcester. “It is always nice to get a road win in the league. Andrew Hicks played especially well in singles where he got the team out to an early lead.”
The doubles matches between the Mids and the Bison were much closer. Navy did win each of the three matches, but the Nos. 1 and 2 contests were decided in tiebreakers.
Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) and Aries Wong (Sr., Bethesda, Md.) outlasted Ben Gerber and Daniel Wright, 7-6 (7-0) at No. 1, and Greg Durham (So., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) and Gabriel Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) recorded a 7-6 (7-4) win at No. 2 over Max McDonald and Andrei Vitiuc.
The Mids did not drop a set in sweeping the six singles matches. Ton won 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1, Wong posted a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 2 and Durham lost just one game in winning at No. 3. Moving down the lineup, Sims tallied a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 4, Pilones notched a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 5 and Lohrbach emerged with a 7-6 (7-2), 6-4 win at No. 6.
“It was great to see so many of our players getting a chance to earn two league wins today,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “The weather really warmed up, making it a terrific day to play. While keeping their poise, the team also had a consistent mental effort. As we enter the heart of our season over the next two weeks we will need to keep making a push to improve.”
Navy will close its regular season with a trio of matches this week. The Mids will split their squad into two for matches Wednesday at home against Loyola and at Coppin State, then will play host to Army April 21.
Navy (21-10, 4-1) def. Holy Cross (2-12, 0-7), 6-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point
1. Kahatapitiya, Romesh / Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Andrew Vroman / Tom Cimini (HCMT) 6-1
2. Hicks, Andrew / Kirkpatrick, Cameron (NAVY) def. Matthew Slowinski / Peter Campito (HCMT) 6-3
3. Hayslett, Parker / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Michael Varda / Matthew Murphy (HCMT) 6-4
1. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Tom Cimini (HCMT) 6-0, 6-1
2. Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Michael Varda (HCMT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Matthew Slowinski (HCMT) 6-4, 6-3
4. Kirkpatrick, Cameron (NAVY) def. Peter Campito (HCMT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Hicks, Andrew (NAVY) def. Andrew Vroman (HCMT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Matthew Murphy (HCMT) def. Hayslett, Parker (NAVY) 6-1, 6-3
Navy (22-10, 5-1) def. Bucknell (5-20, 2-4), 7-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point
1. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Ben Gerber / Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) 7-6 (7-0)
2. Durham, Greg / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Max McDonald / Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Lohrbach, Peter / Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Timber Erskine / Max Garramone (BUCKNELL) 6-1
1. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) def. Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) 6-4, 6-2
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 6-2
3. Durham, Greg (NAVY) def. Max Kane (BUCKNELL) 6-0, 6-1
4. Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Max McDonald (BUCKNELL) 6-2, 6-3
5. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Max Garramone (BUCKNELL) 7-5, 6-4
6. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. Ben Gerber (BUCKNELL) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4