Mids Post 10 Wins Against Blue Hens in Men's Tennis
Sep 6, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team began its fall slate of tournaments by winning 10 of 12 matches against Delaware Friday afternoon at the USNA Tennis Courts in Annapolis.
"I think we battled hard on every point today," said Navy head coach John Officer.
Each of the four doubles matches played between the teams were close ones. Navy picked up wins by the identical score of 9-7 at the Nos.1 and 2 flights, respectively. The tandem of Austin Jones (So., Dallas, Texas) and Thomas Pecor (Fr., Houston, Texas) defeated Troy Beneck and Adam Lawton at No. 1 doubles, while Blake Daniel (Jr., Overland Park, Kan.) and Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) topped Evan Andrews and Tyler Flematti at No. 2 doubles. The Mids also recorded a win at No. 3 doubles as Alex Gaines (So., Wilmington, N.C.) and Tyler Tossavainen (Fr., Fleming Island, Fla.) won by the count of 8-5 over Roy Cheng and Mike Furr. In the remaining match, Delaware's Zack Niklaus and Alex Sweet combined for an 8-6 win over Jake Darrah (Fr., Cartersville, Ga.) and Krishna Jana (Fr., Seabrook, Texas).
"We were down a break of serve at both Nos. 1 and 2 doubles, but still battled back to win," said Officer.
The Mids would go on to win seven of the eight singles matches, with Navy claiming six straight-set victories in its seven wins. Jones defeated Beneck, 7-5, 7-5, at No. 2 singles, Mark won a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Niklaus at No. 3, Daniel edged Andrews, 7-5, 7-5, at No. 4, Jana posted a 7-5, 6-3 win over Flematti at No. 5, Gaines topped Sweet by scores of 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6 and Darrah recorded a 6-4, 6-2 win over Blake Dantzler at No. 8.
Navy's additional win was tallied by Tossavainen, who dropped the first set of his match against Cheng at No. 7 singles by the score of 6-0 before winning the second set by the count of 6-2. The duo played a 10-point tiebreaker in lieu of a complete third set, which Tossavainen won by the score of 13-11.
Delaware's win was notched by Lawton as he defeated Pecor at No. 1 singles. Pecor posted a 7-5 win in the first set, with Lawton winning the second set by the same score. Like the Tossavainen-Dantzler match, a 10-point tiebreaker was used in place of a full third set. And again like the Tossavainen-Dantzler contest, the final score of the breaker was 13-11.
"There were a lot of tight singles matches," said Officer. "I think our competitive spirit made a difference. I like our lineup and I like our depth."
Navy will continue play at the season-opening Navy Invitational with matches Saturday and Sunday. The Mids will face St. Bonaventure Saturday at 9 a.m. and Temple Sunday at 2 p.m. Both matches will be played at the USNA Tennis Courts.
"I'd like to see us take things up 10-15 percent tomorrow now that we have our first day of the season out of the way," said Officer.
Navy vs. Delaware
1. Austin Jones / Thomas Pecor (N) def. Troy Beneck / Adam Lawton (D), 9-7
2. Blake Daniel / Calvin Mark (N) def. Evan Andrews / Tyler Flematti (D), 9-7
3. Alex Gaines / Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Roy Cheng / Mike Furr (D), 8-5
4. Zack Niklaus / Alex Sweet (D) def. Jake Darrah / Krishna Jana (N), 8-6
1. Adam Lawton (D) def. Thomas Pecor (N), 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (13-11)
2. Austin Jones (N) def. Troy Beneck (D), 7-5, 7-5
3. Calvin Mark (N) def. Zack Niklaus (D), 6-2, 6-2
4. Blake Daniel (N) def. Evan Andrews (D), 7-5, 7-5
5. Krishna Jana (N) def. Tyler Flematti (D), 7-5, 6-3
6. Alex Gaines (N) def. Alex Sweet (D), 6-2, 6-4
7. Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Roy Cheng (D), 0-6, 6-2, 1-0 (13-11)
8. Jake Darrah (N) def. Blake Dantzler (D), 6-4, 6-2
Temple vs. St. Bonaventure
1. Hicham Belkssir / Kristian Marquart (T) vs. Elliot Fanshell / Javier Ortiz (SB) -- Did Not Play
2. Santiago Canete / Nicholas Paulus (T) def. Celso de Vera Rehnberger / Trevor Haskell (SB), 8-5
3. Sam Rundle / Hernan Vasconez (T) def. Timothy DeSanto / Jacob Mishkin (SB), 8-5
4. Moros Januvka / Vinet Naran (T) -- Did Not Play
1. Kristian Marquart (T) vs. Elliot Fanshell (SB) -- Did Not Play
2. Javier Ortiz (SB) def. Hernan Vasconez (T), 6-3, 6-4
3. Nicholas Paulus (T) def. Celso de Vera Rehnberger (SB), 6-1, 6-1
4. Santiago Canete (T) def. Trevor Haskell (SB), 6-2, 6-1
5. Sam Rundle (T) def. Jacob Mishkin (SB), 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Hicham Belkssir (T) def. Timothy DeSanto (SB), 6-2, 6-2
7. Moros Januvka (T) def. Hristo Hristov (SB), 6-3, 6-1
8. Vinet Naran (T) -- Did Not Play