Sep 7, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team continued its strong play at the Navy Invitational Saturday by winning all but one of the 10 matches it played on the day against St. Bonaventure at the USNA Tennis Courts. Saturday morning's effort by the Mids came one day after they picked up wins in 10 of their 12 matches against Delaware.
"I thought our singles play was a level better today than it was Friday," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We came out really fired up and with a lot of energy on every court."
The Mids and the Bonnies played a trio of close doubles matches Saturday. St. Bonaventure's Elliot Fanshell and Javier Ortiz recorded the lone win for the Bonnies on the day with the duo's 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles over Austin Jones (So., Dallas, Texas) and Thomas Pecor (Fr., Houston, Texas).Navy tandems would win the remaining two equally close matches. Blake Daniel (Jr., Overland Park, Kan.) and Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) combined for an 8-6 win over Celso de Vera Rehnberger and Trevor Haskell at No. 2 doubles, with Alex Gaines (So., Wilmington, N.C.) and Tyler Tossavainen (Fr., Fleming Island, Fla.) winning an 8-5 decision over Timothy DeSanto and Jacob Mishkin at the No. 3 flight.
Navy then dropped just one set in winning the seven singles matches that were contested. Straight-set winners for the Mids were Pecor, who posted a 6-0, 7-5 win over Fanshell at No. 1 singles; Mark, a 6-1, 6-3 winner over de Vera Rehnberger at No. 3; Daniel, who won a 6-0, 6-2 match against Haskell at No. 4; Krishna Jana (Fr., Seabrook, Texas), a 7-5, 6-1 victor over Mishkin at No. 5; Gaines, who topped DeSanto by the score of 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6; and Tossavainen, who defeated Hristo Hristov by the score of 6-3, 6-3 at No. 7.
The lone remaining match saw Jones post a 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3) win over Ortiz at No. 2 singles.
"To win nine matches against a solid team such as St. Bonaventure is a result we will take every time out there," said Officer. "I was really happy with Thomas winning his match, Austin battled back to win his match and for the second-straight day Alex played an excellent match. The middle of our lineup is extremely solid."
Navy will close play at the tournament Sunday with a 2 p.m. match against Temple.
"Temple will be our toughest opponent this weekend," said Officer. "The big thing we have to do tomorrow is to come out ready in doubles. We have won in our doubles matches so far, but we have fallen behind both days. We need to get things going earlier."
Navy vs. St. Bonaventure
1. Elliot Fanshell / Javier Ortiz (SB) def. Austin Jones / Thomas Pecor (N), 8-6
2. Blake Daniel / Calvin Mark (N) def. Celso de Vera Rehnberger / Trevor Haskell (SB), 8-6
3. Alex Gaines / Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Timothy DeSanto / Jacob Mishkin (SB), 8-5
4. Jake Darrah / Krishna Jana (N) -- Did Not Play
1. Thomas Pecor (N) def. Elliot Fanshell (SB), 6-0, 7-5
2. Austin Jones (N) def. Javier Ortiz (SB), 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Calvin Mark (N) def. Celso de Vera Rehnberger (SB), 6-1, 6-3
4. Blake Daniel (N) def. Trevor Haskell (SB), 6-0, 6-2
5. Krishna Jana (N) def. Jacob Mishkin (SB), 7-5, 6-1
6. Alex Gaines (N) def. Timothy DeSanto (SB), 6-1, 6-2
7. Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Hristo Hristov (SB), 6-3, 6-3
8. Jake Darrah (N) -- Did Not Play
Temple vs. Delaware
1. Troy Beneck / Adam Lawton (D) def. Hicham Belkssir / Kristian Marquart (T), 8-6
2. Santiago Canete / Nicholas Paulus (T) def. Evan Andrews / Tyler Flematti (D), 8-4
3. Sam Rundle / Hernan Vasconez (T) def. Roy Cheng / Mike Furr (D), 8-1
4. Zack Niklaus / Alex Sweet (D) def. Moros Januvka / Vinet Naran (T), 8-6
1. Adam Lawton (D) def. Kristian Marquart (T), 7-5, 6-1
2. Troy Beneck (D) def. Hernan Vasconez (T), 6-2, 6-4
3. Nicholas Paulus (T) def. Zack Niklaus (D), 6-2, 6-1
4. Santiago Canete (T) def. Evan Andrews (D), 6-1, 6-3
5. Sam Rundle (T) def. Tyler Flematti (D), 6-4, 6-0
6. Hicham Belkssir (T) def. Alex Sweet (D), 6-2, 6-4
7. Roy Cheng (D) def. Moros Januvka (T), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
8. Vinet Naran (T) def. Blake Dantzler (D), 6-3, 6-4