Sep 8, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy and Temple men’s tennis teams split 12 matches as part of the final contest of the Navy Invitational Sunday afternoon at the USNA Tennis Courts in Annapolis. The Mids would claim three of the four doubles flight titles and three of the eight singles flight titles at the tournament that were determined through three days of round-robin competition between Navy, Temple, Delaware and St. Bonaventure.
“I am pleased that in our first tournament we were the team that won the majority of the flights,” said Navy head coach John Officer. “Our goal was to win the majority of the flights and we did that.”
Navy’s doubles teams posted a 3-1 record on the day against Temple and were a combined 8-3 over the course of the invitational. Navy’s No. 1 tandem of Austin Jones (So., Dallas, Texas) and Thomas Pecor (Fr., Houston, Texas) won its flight championship thanks to its 8-6 win over the Temple team of Hicham Belkssir and Kristian Marquart. At No. 2 doubles, Navy’s Blake Daniel (Jr., Overland Park, Kan.) and Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) combined to defeat Temple’s Santiago Canete and Nicholas Paulus in a tiebreaker Sunday (7-4) to win its flight. The Mids also would win the No. 3 doubles title with the 8-3 win by Alex Gaines (So., Wilmington, N.C.) and Tyler Tossavainen (Fr., Fleming island, Fla.) over Sam Rundle and Hernan Vasconez today.
The remaining match saw Temple’s Maros Januvka and Vineet Naran post an 8-6 win over Jake Darrah
(Fr., Cartersville, Ga.) and Krishna Jana
(Fr., Seabrook, Texas) at the No. 4 flight.
The Mids would win a trio of singles matches against the Owls. Jones posted a 6-3, 6-2 win over Vasconez at No. 2 singles, Mark won a 7-6 (8-6), 6-2 decision over Paulus at No. 3 and Tossavainen defeated Januvka by scores of 6-4, 6-2 at No. 7.
Jones, Mark and Tossavainen all won their respective singles flight titles.
In the remaining matches, Marquart defeated Pecor, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 1; Canete defeated Daniel, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4, Rundle posted a 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8) win over Jana at No. 5; Belkssir defeated Gaines, 7-6 (9-7), 6-0, at No. 6; and Naran defeated Darrah by the score of 6-4, 6-3 at No. 8.
“We played well in doubles today and all weekend,” said Officer. “Temple out-competed us in some of the singles matches. We were caught a little off guard with the heart and intensity Temple showed in singles. This was a good lesson for us to not take any match for granted.”
Navy’s fall season continues in two weeks when the Mids take part in the East Carolina Invitational Sept. 20-22.
Delaware vs. St. Bonaventure
1. Troy Beneck / Adam Lawton (D) def. Elliot Fanshell / Javier Ortiz (SB), 8-5
2. Celso de Vera Rehnberger / Trevor Haskell (SB) def. Evan Andrews / Tyler Flematti (D), 9-7
3. Roy Cheng / Mike Furr (D) def. Timothy DeSanto / Jacob Mishkin (SB), 8-5
4. Zack Niklaus / Alex Sweet (D) –– Did Not Play
1. Adam Lawton (D) def. Elliot Fanshell (SB), 6-4, 6-3
2. Troy Beneck (D) def. Javier Ortiz (SB), 6-0, 6-2
3. Zack Niklaus (D) def. Celso de Vera Rehnberger (SB), 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
4. Trevor Haskell (SB) def. Evan Andrews (D), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Jacob Mishkin (SB) def. Tyler Flematti (D), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Alex Sweet (D) def. Timothy DeSanto (SB), 6-3, 0-6, 1-0 (10-8)
7. Roy Cheng (D) def. Hristo Hristov (SB), 6-2, 6-1
8. Blake Dantzler (D) –– Did Not Play
Navy vs. Temple
1. Austin Jones / Thomas Pecor (N) def. Hicham Belkssir / Kristian Marquart (T), 8-6
2. Blake Daniel / Calvin Mark (N) def. Santiago Canete / Nicholas Paulus (T), 9-8 (7-4)
3. Alex Gaines / Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Sam Rundle / Hernan Vasconez (T), 8-3
4. Maros Januvka / Vinet Naran (T) def. Jake Darrah / Krishna Jana (N), 8-6
1. Kristian Marquart (T) def. Thomas Pecor (N), 6-2, 6-4
2. Austin Jones (N) def. Hernan Vasconez (T), 6-3, 6-2
3. Calvin Mark (N) def. Nicholas Paulus (T), 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
4. Santiago Canete (T) def. Blake Daniel (N), 6-2, 6-2
5. Sam Rundle (T) def. Krishna Jana (N), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Hicham Belkssir (T) def. Alex Gaines (N), 7-6 (9-7), 6-0
7. Tyler Tossavainen (N) def. Maros Januvka (T), 6-4, 6-2
8. Vineet Naran (T) def. Jake Darrah (N), 6-4, 6-3
1. Austin Jones / Thomas Pecor, Navy
2. Blake Daniel / Calvin Mark, Navy
3. Alex Gaines / Tyler Tossavainen, Navy
4. Zack Niklaus / Alex Sweet, Delaware
1. Adam Lawton, Delaware
2. Austin Jones, Navy
3. Calvin Mark, Navy
4. Santiago Canete, Temple
5. Sam Rundle, Temple
6. Hichan Belkssir, Temple
7. Tyler Tossavainen, Navy
8. Vineet Naran, Temple