An Operations Research major, Wilding is ranked among the top four percent of his class in Academic Order of Merit.
Among the award winners were all four of Navy's 2017 NCAA qualifiers - Jadaen Bernstein, Steban Cervantes, Michael Coleman and Jared Prince.
This is the second consecutive year the two wrestlers have been recognized by the EIWA.
Jared Prince, Jadaen Bernstein and Michael Coleman have qualified for the NCAA Championship.
Jared Prince, Jadaen Bernstein and Michael Coleman will wrestle in the semifinals of their respective weight classes on Saturday.
Navy-Old Dominion Wrestling 2.3.17
All-Academy Championship 1-29-17
Navy-Lehigh Wrestling 1-13-17
2016 Navy Classic
Navy Wrestling vs. Army
• 2016-17 (Jr.): Produced a 19-14 record, including a 4-6 dual meet mark, as the Mids’ starter at 149 pounds ... fought through adversity throughout the season, including an injury ... placed in two of the five regular-season tournaments in which he competed, including winning his first collegiate individual title ... put together a 5-0 mark that featured a win by fall (5:28) over Wisconsin’s Zander Wick in the championship bout at the Harold Nichols Open ... scored a 7-3 win over Army’s Matt Kelly to take third at the All-Academy Championship ... dominated Army’s Nick Noel to earn a 14-2 victory in the annual Star Match ... also earned dual wins over Delaware Valley’s Nick Menkin (3:38), Johns Hopkins’ Connor Joyce (22-5) and Duke’s Xaviel Ramos (9-5) ... earned a 6-5 win over sixth-seeded Joe Oliva of Penn in the opener at the EIWA Championship, but injured his knee against third-seeded and 18th-ranked Matt Cimato of Drexel in the quarters.
• 2015-16 (So.): Navy’s starter at 149 pounds, he turned in a 22-15 record that featured a 7-4 dual meet mark ... competed in six regular-season tournaments, including the Michigan State Open (Fr/So Div), where he defeated teammate Casey Cowan, 6-1, to claim the 149-pound title ... defeated VMI’s Stevan Smith by tech fall (17-2) to place third at the All-Academy Championship ... posted an 8-4 win over Wisconsin’s Rylan Lubeck to take fifth at the Navy Classic ... earned big dual victories over Princeton’s Mike D’Angelo (3-1 sv), American’s Cole Moseley (6-3), Maryland’s Wade Hodges (6:02) and Army West Point’s Mark Marchetti (10-1) ... posted a 1-2 record at the EIWA Championship.
• 2014-15 (Fr.): Joined the team as a walk-on and worked his way into the starting 149-pound role ... finished the year with a 10-18 record, including a 3-5 mark in dual action ... earned dual wins over Lehigh’s Drew Longo (6-4), American’s Tom Page (4:41 fall) and George Mason’s Ryan Hunsberger (2-0) ... placed fourth at the All-Academy Championship ... dealt Indiana Tech’s Thomas Garty a 13-3 loss at the Michigan State Open (Fr./So. Div.) to earn his first collegiate victory ... also represented Navy at the EIWA Championship.
• High School: A 2014 graduate of Upper St. Clair High School in Upper St. Clair, Pa., Wilding was a two-sport athlete who earned letters in golf (4) and wrestling (4) ... a four-time all-county and all-section selection in wrestling ... served as wrestling team captain his junior and senior years ... golf team won the state title his senior year ... named the Athletes Taking Action Student of the Year and the Pittsburgh Positive Athlete of the Year (golf).
• Personal: Son of Jim and Carla Wilding ... uncle, Tony Wilding, is a 1983 graduate of the Naval Academy ... has six siblings, three brothers and three sisters ... brother, Austin, is a 2016 graduate of Army and was a member of the Black Knights’ wrestling team ... majoring in Operations Research, he owns a 3.98 grade-point average ... has posted a 4.00 GPA in each of the last five semesters ... named to the Superintendent’s and Commandant’s List in five of the six semesters at the Academy ... ranked 23rd in Overall Order of Merit, 44th in Academic Order of Merit and fifth in Military Order of Merit ... has twice received the EIWA Academic Achievement Award ... earned 2017 CoSIDA First-Team Academic All-District honors.