Blue Dominates Annual Navy Wrestling Blue-Gold Match
Nov. 1, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The Navy Blue squad won eight of 10 matches, including four of the first five, to score a 28-6 victory over the Navy Gold team at the annual Blue-Gold Wrestling Challenge Match held over the weekend at Wesley Brown Field House. The Blue-Gold Match is held annually as a preview to Navy wrestling fans as the program kicks of the 2011-12 campaign this Saturday at the Eastern Michigan Open in Ypsilanti, Mich.
The following is a weight-by-weight breakdown of the matches:
141 – Joe Locksmith (G) dec. Alex Johnson (B), 6-3
• Locksmith jumped out to a 4-2 lead in the opening period thanks to a pair of takedowns and built up riding time (1:04) to score the bonus point.
149 – Zach Basich (B) dec. Ben Hunter (G), 4-1
• Basich took Hunter down in the first period and rode him out for 1:43. Both wrestlers earned a point for their escape to start the second and third periods.
157 – Bobby Burg (B) dec. Bobby Barnhisel (G), 10-6
• Burg, a freshman, rallied in the third period to knock off the veteran Barnhisel. Burg held a 2-0 advantage after the opening period, but a pair of takedowns by Barnhisel gave the senior a 4-3 lead going into the final period. Burg evened the match at 4-all with an escape to start the final period, but Barnhisel once again went on top with a reversal. Burg was awarded a penalty point and went on to score a takedown and a 3-point nearfall to take the 10-6 win.
165 – Peyton Walsh (B) major dec. Jake Schalles (G), 12-3
• Walsh scored four takedowns and added a 2-point nearfall as he cruised to a major decision over Schalles.
174 – Mathew Miller (B) fall Oscar Huntley (G), 0:56
• Miller, another rookie to keep an eye on, knocked off Huntley, the Mids’ team captain, pinning him in just 56 seconds. Huntley was up on Miller early with a takedown, but Miller quickly turned Huntley and drovie him to the mat for the fall.
184 – Mason Bailey (G) dec. James Mannier (B), 2-1
• Bailey utilized the top position to his advantage in the third period, winning his match against Mannier thanks to nearly two minutes of riding time as the two wrestlers managed just an escape apiece.
197 – Paul Rands (B) dec. Colynn Cook (G), 6-1
• Rands, who will be competing as an unattached wrestler this season, took a 3-0 advantage into the final period and never looked back, as he surrendered just a point his match against Cook.
HWT – Dan Miller (B) dec. Brendan Kahle (G), 6-0
• Veteran heavyweight Dan Miller opened up with a takedown in the first period and never looked back, as he scored a final takedown in the third period to post a 6-0 victory over Kahle.
125 – Patrick Prada (B) dec. Sam Warne (G), 11-4
• Prada led from the opening whistle, scoring a takedown early in the first. He scored four takedowns in the match, including two in the final period along with a reversal en route to an 11-4 decision over Warne.
133 – Quentin Leadbeter (B) dec. Colton Rasche (G), 3-2 sv
• Rasche scored the match’s first point with a takedown in the first period, while Leadbeter slashed the lead to one with an escape. Rasche was unable to earn the point for an escape in the second period, however, Leadbeter tied the match with an escape to begin the final stanza. With the matche tied at 2-2, Leadbeter broke free in sudden victory to earn the match-winning point.
### Go Navy ###