Navy Wrestlers Back on the Mat Friday and Saturday
Jan. 12, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The Navy wrestling team (2-3) returns to action this weekend with a pair of duals on the road, beginning with a 7:00 pm battle on Friday evening at East Stroudsburg. The Mids will make the short trip to Bethlehem, Pa. on Saturday where they will face 15th-ranked Lehigh at 7:00 pm.
Live results will be available for Friday evening’s match at East Stroudsburg via the following link: http://esuwarriors.com/news/2012/1/12/WREST_011212.aspx(.)
Meanwhile, Lehigh will provide a live audio and video stream via its web site at www.Lehighsports.com(.)
The Mids are coming off a tough 26-10 loss against ninth-ranked Oklahoma a week ago in Annapolis. Similar to the 2010 match, Navy won three of the first five bouts and built a 10-6 advantage, but the Sooners secured wins in each of the last five matches to squelch Navy’s hopes of an upset victory.
Of the seven matches Navy dropped, four were decided by four points or fewer including a one-point decision that went against newcomer Paul Rands (Cary, Ill.) at 197 pounds and a two-point loss by team captain Aaron Kalil (Salem, N.H.) against 11th-ranked Jordan Keller at 133 pounds. Meanwhile, five of the seven losses were against wrestlers ranked in the top 20, including No. 1-ranked Kendric Maple at 141 pounds.
Navy’s three victories brought the fans to their feet, including junior Bobby Barnhisel’s (River Forest, Ill.) upset victory over 12th-ranked Matt Lester at 157 pounds. Barnhisel, who in the last two weeks has gotten back on the mat after suffering a knee injury in mid-November, struck quickly as he took Lester down just 10 seconds into the match and pushed his lead to 5-0 with a three-point nearfall. Although Lester would rally in the final period and a late takedown with 15 seconds remaining would clip Barnhisel’s lead to just one, the Navy junior posted an escape with two seconds remaining to earn an 8-6 victory over Lester.
And in one of the most anticipated matchups of the evening, the 184-pound weight class was as exciting as last year’s bout in which Navy’s Luke Rebertus (Gloucester, Va.) won in a tie breaker. With OU’s Erich Schmidtke, ranked 20th nationally, holding a 2-1 lead with time running out, Rebertus scored a takedown with 11 seconds left and tacked on a two-point nearfall with one tick left on the clock to go ahead, 5-3. Schmidtke was awarded an escape at the horn, but Rebertus claimed the 5-4 victory.
Meanwhile junior Oscar Huntley (Stafford, Va.) picked up a major decision at 174 pounds, using three third-period takedowns, including one with five seconds left, to earn a 12-4 victory over Nolan McBryde.
Kalil and Rebertus have been the backbone for what is a very young Navy wrestling team. Rebertus has put together a 17-8 record, including a 3-2 dual mark, while Kalil suffered his first dual loss of the season last week, as he owns a 4-1 dual record to bolster his 18-7 overall mark.
Huntley has been solid throughout the season and he will take a 4-1 dual record into the weekend.
The East Stroudsburg Warriors are off to a 3-4 start to the season, picking up wins over Wilkes (23-14), Sacred Heart (41-9) and Seton Hill (22-19), while dropping bouts to George Mason (23-20), Bloomsburg (41-4), Pittsburgh-Johnstown (25-15) and Mercyhurst (33-14). Friday night’s bout against Navy marks the Warriors’ first compeition since the Wilkes Open on Dec. 28. The Midshipmen own a 14-0 record against East Stroudsburg with the two teams competing against one another in each of the last six years.
Meanwhile, the 15th-ranked Mountain Hawks enter the weekend with a 5-4 record, taking wins over Clarion (27-12), North Carolina (27-17), Arizona State (24-10), Purdue (32-9) and Penn (21-15). Their losses have been at the hands of No. 17 Pitt (18-16), No. 7 Illinois (22-18), No. 5 Penn State (24-12) and No. 4 Cornell (24-12).
Five of the Mountain Hawks’ 10-man lineup is ranked among the nation’s top 20, however 165-pound Brandon Hatchett (No. 11) and 197-pound Joe Kennedy (No. 10) are not expected to wrestle. Meanwhile, No. 4 Robert Hamlin will face Navy’s Rebertus, ranked 13th, at 184 pounds, while third-ranked Zach Rey will square off against Navy junior Dan Miller (Berlin, Md.) at heavyweight.
The Midshipmen hold a slight 47-44 series advantage, which featured a spectacular victory by Navy a year ago. A major decision by Navy Kalil at 125 pounds sealed the win for the Mids, as they captured a 19-15 over 12th-ranked Lehigh Halsey Field House in Annapolis. The Mountain Hawks came into the match having won 13 of the last 14 matches in the series with the Mids’ last win over Lehigh coming on Jan. 13, 2007, in Annapolis.
Projected Navy Lineup
• 125 - Patrick Prada - Fr., Laurel, Md. (3-12 / 0-4) -OR- Tyler Sackett - Sr., Omaha, Neb. (1-2 / 1-0)
• 133 - #19 Aaron Kalil - Jr., Salem, N.H. (18-7 / 4-1) -OR- Colton Rasche, Fr., Plano, Ill. (3-1 / 0-0)
• 141 - Raymond Borja - So., Virginia Beach, Va. (7-8 / 0-2) -OR- Dustin Haislip - Sr., Inwood, W.Va. (0-0 / 0-0)
• 149 - Peyton Walsh - Fr., Glen Allen, Va. (7-6 / 0-1) -OR- Joe Locksmith - So., Kissimmee, Fla. (7-9 / 1-3)
• 157 - Bobby Barnhisel - Jr., River Forest, Ill. (7-7 / 1-3) -OR- Zach Basich - Jr., Wheeling, W.Va. (10-4 / 1-0)
• 165 - Matt Jackson - Jr., Rising Sun, Md. (5-6 / 0-1) -OR- Mike Brant - Sr., Johnstown, Pa. (2-2 / 0-0)
• 174 - Oscar Huntley - Jr., Stafford, Va. (13-6 / 4-1) -OR- James Mannier - So., Troy, Ohio (13-8 / 0-0)
• 184 - #13 Luke Rebertus - Sr., Gloucester, Va. (17-8 / 3-2)
• 197 - Paul Rands - Fr./So., Cary, Ill. (9-12 / 1-4)
• 285 - Dan Miller - Jr., Berlin, Md. (7-7 / 3-2) -OR- Ben Hatef - Jr., Bowie, Md.
Projected East Stroudsburg Lineup
• 125 - Zach Jones - Fr., Waymart, N.J. (4-9 / 2-5)
• 133 - Chris Davis - Fr., Voorhees, N.J. (2-13 / 0-7)
• 141 - Adam Hluschak - R-Sr., Slatington, Pa. (17-6 / 5-2)
• 149 - Andrew Ritchie - R-Sr., Nazareth, Pa. (9-9 / 2-5)
• 157 - Braden Turner - R-So., Bath, Pa. (14-7 / 5-2)
• 165 - Thad Frick - R-Sr., Nazareth, Pa. (16-4 / 6-1)
• 174 - Tony Vorndran - Jr., Millville, N.J. (1-8 / 1-1)
• 184 - James Gonzalez - Sr., Tobyhanna, Pa. (5-5 / 2-3) -OR- Will Esposito, R-So., New Milford, N.J. (0-3 / 0-2)
• 197 - Zachary Koller - Fr., Dauphin, Pa. (1-3 / 1-1)
• 285 - Joe Blaes, R-Jr., Scotch Plains, N.J. (1-8 / 1-4)
Projected Lehigh Lineup
• 125 - Alex Abreu - Jr., Highlands Ranch, Colo. (0-6 / 0-5)
• 133 - Mason Beckman - Fr., Greenville, Pa. (11-6 / 5-4)
• 141 - #17 Steve Dutton - So., Miller Place, N.Y. (7-3 / 2-1)
• 149 - Anthony Salupo - So./Fr. Lakewood, Ohio (11-7 / 1-3) or Shane Welsh - Sr./Jr., Lower Burrell, Pa. (15-5 / 1-1)
• 157 - Brian Tanen - Sr., Harleysville, Pa. (3-5 / 3-3)
• 165 - Sean Bilodeau - Sr., Harvard, Mass. (5-1 / 1-1)
• 174 - Nate Brown - Fr., Lewisburg, Pa. (9-4 / 21-13) or Kevin Bailey - Sr./Jr., Chagrin Falls, Ohio (0-1 / 0-0)
• 184 - #4 Robert Hamlin - Sr./Jr., Jonesville, Vt. (15-1 / 10-1)
• 197 - Kadeem Samuels - Sr., Bronx, N.Y. (8-7 / 1-1)
• 285 - #3 Zach Rey - Sr., Hopatcong, N.J. (8-1 / 8-1)
### Go Navy ###