Mids Travel to Tar Heel State for Annual Dual
Jan. 24, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Meeting for the 55th time in series history, Navy and North Carolina will square off on the mat on Saturday at 2:00 pm when the Mids travel to Chapel Hill. The Mids have won 10 of the last 11 duals, including four in a row, however their last loss in the series was in Chapel Hill (2009).
Navy will look to recover from a 26-6 loss to 21st-ranked Lehigh a week ago that saw the Mids earn just two wins at 165 and 197 pounds. Prior to its match against the nationally-ranked Mountain Hawks, the Mids had captured dual victories against Boston U. (33-3) and Maryland (26-12).
The Mids are led by 2013 NCAA qualifier Peyton Walsh (Glen Allen, Va.) who has amassed a 20-9 record at 165 pounds. He is the lone Navy wrestler to put together a flawless 3-0 mark in dual action this season and boasts a 12-4 all-time dual record. Junior Colton Rasche (Plano, Ill.) owns a 17-8 record at 133 pounds, but has struggled in tight matches since the turn of the calendar. In his six matches in 2014, he has posted a 3-3 mark, including a 1-1 record in dual competition. Meanwhile, 174-pound sophomore Mathew Miller (Edgewood, Md.) is the lone Navy wrestler among the nation’s top 20 according to Amateur Wrestling News. Miller dropped from 11th to 15th following a 2-1 loss to then 16th-ranked Elliot Riddick of Lehigh last weekend. Miller stands 11-4 on the year and has split his two dual matches this season.
Two Navy wrestlers who will no doubt be challenged on Saturday at 125-pound freshman Brenden Campbell (New Castle, Ind.) and 141-pound senior Joe Locksmith (Kissimmee, Fla.). Both will face nationally-ranked foes. Campbell, who stands 2-1 in dual action and 7-8 overall, will meet 20th-ranked Nathan Kraisser of North Carolina, while Locksmith, who owns a 13-10 mark including a 2-1 dual record, will face sixth-ranked Evan Henderson.
Led by 11th-year head coach C.D. Mock, North Carolina has produced a 5-6 record to date. The Tar Heels have wins over Wisconsin (24-21), Binghamton (22-14), Buffalo (26-12), Eastern Michigan (18-16) and Clarion (32-4), while dropping matches to Ol Dominion (25-6), Hofstra (25-15), Central Michigan (18-16), Michigan State (22-19), Virginia Tech (29-3) and Stanford (28-12). Additionally, UNC will battle Maryland in Chapel Hill on Friday evening before playing host to the Mids at 2:00 pm on the following day.
As previously mentioned, the Tar Heels’ strength lies within the lighter weights were both Kraisser (125) and Henderson (141) are nationally ranked. Kraisser owns a 16-7 record overall and a 5-6 mark in dual action, but has struggled as of late. He has just one win in his last five matches, however he dropped back-to-back sudden victory bouts to No. 19 Joey Dance of Virginia Tech and No. 13 Evan Silver of Stanford. Henderson enters the weekend having won six in a row, including a major decision over 19th-ranked Tyler Small of Kent State. He stands 25-3 on the year and 10-1 in dual action with his lone dual loss to then 11th-ranked Luke Vaith of Hofstra in sudden victory.
A year ago the Midshipmen won eight of the 10 matches against North Carolina, including each of the last five, to score a 27-6 victory. Five of the 10 wrestlers in the lineup for that match return for the Mids, including Rasche, Walsh, Miller and senior 141-pound Raymond Borja (Virginia Beach, Va.) who all won their matches.
Navy owns a 36-17-1 advantage in the series, including a 9-5 edge in matches wrestled in Chapel Hill.
Fans unable to attend Saturday’s wrestling match can follow along live via North Carolina’s live stream at Live Video
Projected Navy Lineup
• 125 - Brendon Campbell - Fr, New Castle, Ind. (7-8, 2-1)
• 133 - Colton Rasche - Jr, Plano, Ill. (17-8, 2-1)
• 141 - Joe Locksmith - Sr, Kissimmee, Fla. (13-10, 2-1)
• 149 - Raymond Borja - Sr, Virginia Beach, Va. (6-4, 2-1) -OR- Alex Johnson - Sr, Memphis, Tenn. (9-5, 0-0)
• 157 - Zach Johnson - Sr, Memphis, Tenn. (8-11, 1-2) -OR- Bobby Burg - So., Gasport, N.Y. (11-4, 0-0)
• 165 - Peyton Walsh - Jr, Glen Allen, Va. (20-9, 3-0)
• 174 - #11 Mathew Miller - So, Edgewood, Md. (11-4, 1-1) -OR- Johnny Watson - Sr, Lexington, N.C. (10-8, 1-0)
• 184 - James Mannier - Sr, Troy, Ohio (12-11, 1-2) -OR- William Miller - So, Chinook, Mont. (10-7, 0-0)
• 197 - Paul Rands - Jr, Cary, Ill. (8-7, 2-1)
• 285 - Colynn Cook - Jr, Murrysville, Pa. (11-11, 1-2)
Projected North Carolina Lineup
• 125 - #20 Nathan Kraisser - So, Ellicott City, Md. (16-7, 5-6)
• 133 - Troy Heilmann - Fr, South Plainfield, N.J. (15-12, 5-6)
• 141 - #6 Evan Henderson - Jr, New Florence, Pa. (25-3, 10-1)
• 149 - Christian Barber - RSo, Westfield, N.J. (23-6, 7-1) -OR- Joe Moon - RFr, Haw River, N.C. (13-6, 0-0)
• 157 - Jack Crawford - So, Winchester, Va. (9-15, 2-9) -OR- Robert Henderson - RSo, New Florence, Pa. (3-5, 0-3)
• 165 - John Michael Staudenmayer - RSo, Plymouth Meeting, Pa. (7-8, 4-4)
• 174 - Scott Marmoll - RFr, Marietta, Ga. (13-14, 4-6)
• 184 - Alex Utley - Jr, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (16-9, 7-4)
• 197 - Frank Abbondanza - Jr, Mount Sinai, N.Y. (6-14, 3-8) -OR- Josh Lehner - Fr, Mansfield, Ohio (6-5, 0-0)
• 285 - Bob Coe - Fr, Plymouth, Mich. (6-16, 1-10)
### Go Navy ###