Navy Grapplers To Face North Carolina and Campbell on the Road
Junior Mason Bailey returned to the lineup a week ago, pushing No. 9 Scott Winston to the limit in a 2-0 match.
Jan. 27, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy wrestling team returns to the mat on Saturday when it makes the trip to the state of North Carolina to battled not only the Tar Heels of North Carolina (1:00 pm), but also the Campbell Camels (7:00 pm). Both matches will have live stats available, while the North Carolina match will also be streamed live (see links at the bottom of the page).
The Mids have faced a tough dual slate as of late, battling three of the top 25 programs in the country in the last two weeks. Navy dropped a 28-6 decision to 15th-ranked Lehigh and last weekend fell to No. 13 Maryland, 23-12, and 24th-ranked Rutgers (20-19) by way of a tie breaker. The Mids will head into the weekend with a 3-6 overall record, including a 2-2 mark on the road.
Junior 157-pound Bobby Barnhisel (River Forest, Ill.) has been solid on the mat since his return to the mat, putting together a 4-1 record in his last five duals, including pinning Rutgers' Anthony Volpe last Sunday in Piscataway, N.J. Barnhisel will face a challenge this weekend, however, facing 18th-ranked Corey Mock of North Carolina, who has produced a 22-8 record. Barnhisel, however, has succeeded in upsetting a ranked wrestler this season, dealing then 12th-ranked Matt Lester of Oklahoma an 8-6 loss.
Meanwhile, 125-pound senior Tyler Sackett (Omaha, Neb.) has also flourished since returning from a knee injury. He enters the weekend with a 4-3 overall record, including a 4-1 mark in dual action. His only slip in dual competition was a 6-3 decision against 20th-ranked Shane Gentry of Maryland last weekend.
Seniors Aaron Kalil (Salem, N.H.) and Luke Rebertus (Gloucester, Va.) continue to be the backbone of the team. Kalil, the Mids' team captain, owns a 21-8 record at 133 pounds, including a 7-2 dual mark. He won both duals a week ago and stands an excellent chance of gaining a pair of wins this weekend as both of his projected competitors have losing records. That said, LiVorio put up a strong effort against Kalil earlier this season, dropping a 2-1 decision at the Southern Scuffle.
Rebertus, meanwhile, has won four of his last five bouts and stands 20-9 this season at 184 pounds, including 6-3 in dual action. He faced North Carolina's Thomas Ferguson earlier this season, defeating the fifth-year senior, 5-2, at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational.
After being sidelined for the better part of two months, junior 165-pound Mason Bailey (Fairmont, W.Va.) returned to the lineup last Sunday where he suffered a 2-0 setback against ninth-ranked Scott Winston of Rutgers. Bailey is expected to be in the lineup this weekend where he certainly will be challenged by Carolina's Kyle Kiss who is 4-4 in dual action this season.
Navy hopes to have junior Oscar Huntley (Stafford, Va.) back this weekend at 174 pounds. Huntley stands 14-7 on the year, including 5-2 in dual action but missed both matches last weekend against Maryland and Rutgers because of injury. Sophomore James Mannier (Troy, Ohio) has stepped into the role and owns a 13-10 record on the year and an 0-2 mark in dual matches.
Meanwhile, heavyweight Dan Miller (Berlin, Md.) turned in wins in each of his matches a week ago, improving to 10-8 overall and 6-3 in dual action.
North Carolina enters the weekend with a 2-11 dual record, dropping each of its last four duals. It's lone wins of the season have been against Duke (30-5) and Rider (18-15). The Tar Heels will face 13th-ranked Maryland on Friday evening before playing host to the Mids on Saturday at 1:00 pm.
Campbell, meanwhile, stands 8-12 on the year and also have a four-match losing streak which includes a 24-21 loss to Rutgers at the Virginia Duals.
Projected Navy Lineup
• 125 - Tyler Sackett - Sr., Omaha, Neb. (4-3, 4-1) / Patrick Prada - Fr., Laurel, Md. (3-11, 0-3)
• 133 - Aaron Kalil - Jr., Salem, N.H. (21-8, 7-2) / Colton Rasche, Fr., Plano, Ill. (3-1, 0-0)
• 141 - Dustin Haislip - Sr., Inwood, W.Va. (0-2, 0-2) / Raymond Borja - So., Virginia Beach, Va. (7-10, 0-4)
• 149 - Peyton Walsh - Fr., Glen Allen, Va. (9-8, 2-3) / Joe Locksmith - So., Kissimmee, Fla. (7-9, 1-3)
• 157 - Bobby Barnhisel - Jr., River Forest, Ill. (10-8, 4-4) / Zach Basich - Jr., Wheeling, W.Va. (10-4, 1-0)
• 165 - Mason Bailey - Jr., Fairmont, W.Va. (11-4, 1-3) / Mike Brant - Sr., Johnstown, Pa. (3-4, 1-2)
• 174 - Oscar Huntley - Jr., Stafford, Va. (14-7, 5-2) / James Mannier - So., Troy, Ohio (13-10, 0-2)
• 184 - #13 Luke Rebertus - Sr., Gloucester, Va. (20-9, 6-3) / James Maxwell - Fr., Columbus, N.C. (3-5, 0-0)
• 197 - Paul Rands - Fr./So., Cary, Ill. (10-15, 2-7) / Colynn Cook - Fr., Murrysville, Pa. (2-8, 0-0)
• 285 - Dan Miller - Jr., Berlin, Md. (10-8, 6-3) / Brendan Kahle - Fr., Abingdon, Md. (1-4, 0-0)
Projected North Carolina Lineup
• 125 - Brian Bokoski, RSo., Minooka, Ill. (15-13, 5-7) or Josh Craig - So., Mebane, N.C. (1-5, 0-1)
• 133 - Brock LiVorio - Sr., Irwin, Pa. (6-14, 2-10) or Pat Owens - So., North Wales, Pa. (5-2, 0-0)
• 141 - #20 Evan Henderson - Fr., New Florence, Pa. (21-8, 9-4)
• 149 - Jon Burns - RJr., Apex, N.C. (9-13, 3-10) or Robert Henderson - Fr., New Florence, Pa. (0-0, 0-0)
• 157 - #18 Corey Mock - So., Chapel Hill, N.C. (22-8, 9-3)
• 165 - Kyle Kiss - RSr., Loch Arbour, N.J. (13-9, 4-4)
• 174 - Alex Utley - Fr., Homeworth, Ohio (11-12, 4-9)
• 184 - Thomas Ferguson - RSr., Raleigh, N.C. (14-10, 6-4)
• 197 - Zac Bennett - RSo., Johnstown, Pa. (6-4, 4-2) or Frank Abbondanza - Fr., Mount Sinai, N.Y. (2-14, 0-10)
• 285 - Jake Barnhart - Fr., Penfield, N.Y. (0-0, 0-0)
Live Video - http://bit.ly/whwhdm
Live Stats - http://bit.ly/AkwGju
Projected Campbell Lineup
• 125 - Grabiel Soto - So., Durham, N.C. (1-7, 0-6) or Chance Credeur - Fr., New Bern, N.C. (1-2, 0-1)
• 133 - Tanner Bidelspach - RSo., Hanover, Pa. (3-12, 2-10) or Joey Rizzolino - Fr., Easton, Pa. (7-8, 5-6)
• 141 - Jordan Tolbert - Fr., Olney, Md. (2-13, 2-11)
• 149 - Mark Hartenstine - RFr., Easton, Pa. (14-7, 10-4)
• 157 - Nick Rex - RSo., Lakeland, Fla. (15-9, 13-7)
• 165 - Ryan Krecker - Fr., Nazareth, Pa. (10-8, 8-6) or Paul Duggan - Fr., Olivia, N.C. (1-6, 1-6)
• 174 - James Cook - RFr., Madera, Calif. (15-5, 11-3)
• 184 - TeShaun Johnson - Fr., Durham, N.C. (0-14, 0-10), John Merickel - Jr., Moscow, Idaho (1-4, 1-1) or Matt Cox - RJr., Clovis, Calif. (0-3, 0-3)
• 197 - John Weakley - RSr., Cleveland, Ohio (19-7, 16-4)
• 285 - Joe Nolan - Fr., Jackson, N.J. (10-8, 10-6)
Live Stats - http://bit.ly/wlPD0S
### Go Navy ###