Navy Plays Host to All-Academy Championship, Seeks 14th Team Title
The Navy wrestling team (7-1, 2-1 EIWA) will step away from dual competition this weekend when it plays host to the 23rd annual All-Academy Championship. Eight military institutions - Air Force, Army West Point, The Citadel, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine Academy, Navy, Norwich and VMI - will converge in Annapolis on Sunday where competition will begin at 10:00 am at Alumni Hall with the finals slated for 4:00 pm.
8:00 am - Weigh-ins
10:00 am - Preliminary Round
12:00 pm - Semifinals / 1st Consolation Round
2:00 pm - Consolation Semifinals / Consolation Finals
4:00 pm - Championship Finals
Live Results: Live results and match-by-match updates will be available on FloArena
Video: A FREE live stream of the All-Academy Championship will be shown on the Patriot League Network
Tickets: Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students
Parking / Shuttle: As a reminder to fans planning on attending Sunday’s All-Academy Championship, vehicle access to the Naval Academy is limited to those with a Department of Defense identification card. Fans are encouraged to park at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium ($5 per vehicle) and ride the free shuttle bus to and from the match. Shuttle bus service will available throughout the day beginning at 9:00 AM and run through 8:00 PM. Note that a government issued identification card must be carried and presented by visitors ages 18 and older to gain access to the Academy grounds.
141 - #16 Logan Everett, Army West Point; #18 Jared Prince, Navy
157 - #16 Russ Parsons, Army West Point
174 - #16 Jadaen Bernstein, Navy
All-Academy Championship Team Titles
Team - # - Last
Navy - 13 - 2014
Air Force - 5 - 2015
Army West Point - 3 - 2016
VMI - 1 - 2003
Merchant Marine Academy - 0 - ---
The Citadel - 0 - ---
Coast Guard Academy - 0 - ---
Norwich Academy - 0 - ---
More on the All-Academy Championship
• Navy has been the dominant team, winning 13 of the 22 championships including 10 of the last 13.
• The Mids have won 82 individual crowns in All-Academy Championship history, including 56 of the 130 titles over the last 13 years.
• The Mids won the team title in 1995, `97, `99, `04, `05, `06, `07, `09, ‘10, ‘11, ‘12, ‘13 and ‘14, while they claimed five or more individual titles in 1997, `99, `04, `05, `07, `08, ‘10, ‘11 and ‘13.
• 2016 All-American Mathew Miller and 2016 NCAA qualifier Zack Davis (Granger, Ind.) each won individual crowns to lead Navy to a second-place finish at last year’s All-Academy Championship held at Cameron Hall on the campus of VMI. Nine of Navy’s 10 wrestlers placed among the top four, including seven in the top three.
• Just four of the 10 individual winners from last year’s championship are expected to be in action: 125 VMI’s Dalton Henderson, 141 Army West Point’s Logan Everettt, 157 The Citadel’s Aaron Walker and 165 Army West Point’s Andrew Mendel.
• Among Navy’s nine placewinners from a year ago, just four will compete on the mat on Sunday - junior Brant Leadbeter placed 3rd at 125 pounds, junior Corey Wilding placed 3rd at 149 pounds, junior Drew Daniels placed 4th at 157 pounds and junior Jadaen Bernstein was the runner-up at 174 pounds.
• Graduating off last year’s team were Mathew Miller who took 1st at 184 pounds, Michael Woulfe who was 3rd at 197 pounds and last year’s team captain John Keck who placed fourth at 165 pounds.
• Junior Zack Davis (Granger, Ind.) won the 133-pound title and sophomore Nicholas Gil (Crystal Lake, Ill.) placed 2nd at 141 pounds, however, neither will be competing in this year’s tournament.
• Making their All-Academy Championship debut will be sophomore 133-pound Cody Lambert (Tulsa, Okla.), freshman 141-pound Jared Prince (Safety Harbor, Fla..), junior 157-pound Casey Cowan (Houston, Texas), junior 184-pound Michael Coleman (Hudson, Ohio), junior 197-pound Steban Cervantes (Chula Vista, Calif.) and sophomore 285-pound Thomas Ott (Lewes, Del.).
• Two weight classes to keep an eye on will be 141 and 174 pounds. Navy rookie Jared Prince stands 18th in this week’s InterMat rankings at 141 pounds, while Army West Point’s Logan Everett is ranked 16th and is the defending champion after beating Navy’s Nicholas Gil, 6-5, a year ago. Meanwhile, Navy’s Jadaen Bernstein is hoping three times is a charm, as the the junior has twice made the finals of the All-Academy Championship but came up short against Army West Point’s Brian Harvey. Bernstein enters the weekend ranked #16 at 174 pounds in the InterMat rankings.
• Jadaen Bernstein is just one win shy of eclipsing 20 wins for the third time in his career ... as a freshman he put together a 24-15 mark, while a year ago he finished 34-12 ... he currently owns a 19-6 mark.
• Both Jared Prince and 197-pound Steban Cervantes enter the competition with 16-6 records, while both are undefeated in dual action this season (Prince is 5-0, Cervantes is 6-0) ... Cervantes missed nearly all of last season after undergoing shoulder surgery.
• 184-pound Michael Coleman returned to the mat a week ago after suffering an elbow injury in mid-November ... he owns a 9-4 overall mark this season after pushing up from 165 pounds a year ago.
• Navy received three votes in this week’s USA Today / NWCA Div. I Wrestling Coaches Poll ... meanwhile, the Mids are ranked #16 on the Mid-Major Top 20 Poll released by the NWCA and the National Duals Selection Committee ... the poll concentrates on programs outside of the traditional Power 5 conferences.
• Three Navy wrestlers appear in the Coaches’ Panel Rankings which were released on Jan. 20 - at 141 pounds Jared Prince is #23, at 174 pounds Jadaen Bernstein is #16 nad at 197 pounds Steban Cervantes is #23.
Navy Probables (Overall / Dual)
• 125 Brant Leadbeter (2-11, 0-4)
• 133 Cody Lambert (2-9, 1-3)
• 141 #18 Jared Prince (16-6, 5-0)
• 149 Corey Wilding (14-9, 3-3)
• 157 Casey Cowan (11-6, 2-0)
• 165 Drew Daniels (9-7, 4-1)
• 174 #16 Jadaen Bernstein (19-6, 6-0)
• 184 Michael Coleman (9-4, 2-1) OR Robert Mannier (0-0, 0-0)
• 197 Steban Cervantes (16-6, 6-0)
• 285 Thomas Ott (4-11, 0-2)
• Navy will close out its home slate while also honoring its senior members next Friday when it plays host to Old Dominion. Action is slated for 7:30 pm at Alumni Hall. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students and $5 for groups (purchased in advanced). Tickets can be purchased at the match or in advance by calling 1-800-US4-NAVY, stopping by the NAAA Ticket Office located in Ricketts Hall (M-F, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm) or logging on to NavySports.com(.) For those fans unable to attend, there will be a free live stream of the tournament available on NavySports.com or PatriotLeague.tv(.)
### Go Navy ###