Navy Battles George Mason in Final Tune-Up Before Army
After spending the last several weeks on the road, the Navy wrestling team (7-2, 3-1 EIWA) returns home on Tuesday when it plays host to George Mason in a nonconference match beginning at 7:30 pm. A free live video stream will be available by logging on to NavySports.com or PatriotLeague.tv(.)
Admission for Tuesday night’s match is $10 for adults and $3 for youth (18 & under). A reminder that vehicular access to the Naval Academy is limited to those drivers with a Department of Defense identification card. It is suggested that fans park at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium ($5 per vehicle) and ride the FREE shuttle bus to and from the tournament. Note that a government issued identification card must be carried and presented by visitors to the USNA prior to being allowed onto The Yard.
• Faculty and Staff Night - all Naval Academy faculty and staff receive free admission with a valid ID
• It’s Family Night - buy 4 tickets for $40 and receive concession coupons.
• Under fourth-year head coach Joel Sharratt, the Mids have put together a 7-2 dual meet mark that features a 3-1 record in EIWA matches.
• The Mids are coming off a 26-8 victory over Old Dominion that saw Navy win eight of the 10 matches, as the Monarchs took bookend wins at 125 and 285.
• The first edition of the NCAA Coaches Panel Rankings were released on Jan. 19 and included six Navy wrestlers - #20 Nicholas Gil (Crystal Lake, Ill.) at 141, #20 Jared Prince (Safety Harbor, Fla.) at 149, #28 Zack Davis (Granger, Ind.) at 157, #19 Drew Daniels (Overland Park, Kan.) at 165, #8 Jadaen Bernstein (Glen Gardner, N.J.) at 174 and #14 Michael Coleman (Hudson, Ohio) at 184.
• Six of Navy’s 10 starters enter Tuesday night’s match riding winning streaks of four or more, while four of the six have won at least six straight matches. Topping that list is Michael Coleman who has won nine straight matches.
• Fifteen wrestlers have reached double-digit wins this season, while five of those 15 have won 20 or more matches. Michael Coleman and Nicholas Gil are atop the wins list for the Mids as each have won 26 matches. Gil has won at least 20 matches in each of his three seasons - 25-16 as a freshman, 21-7 as a sophomore and 26-6 as a junior. Coleman, meanwhile, recorded 22 wins a year ago.
• Zack Davis (23-9), Corey Wilding (22-7) and Drew Daniels (21-3) all reached the 20-win milestone at the All-Academy Championship two weeks ago, while Jadaen Bernstein needs one more victory to make it four straight years with 20 or more wins.
• Tuesday has the potential to be a historic evening for Zack Davis who enters the match with 99 career wins. A win on Tuesday would make him just the 15th wrestler in school history and the second this season to reach 100 career wins. He currently stands 15th on the Mids’ career wins list with a 99-50 record, trailing 14th-place Aaron Kalil (2009-12) by just two wins. Additionally, Davis ranks eighth on the Mids’ career matches wrestled leader board with 149 (8th).
• Following a 7-3 win over Old Dominion’s Seldon Wright last Friday, Jadaen Bernstein broke into the top 10 of Navy’s career wins list with a 108-40 record. He is currently tied for 10th alongside former teammate Peyton Walsh (2012-15) and trails ninth-place Scott Schleicher (1987-00) by four. Bernstein also stands among the top 10 in career matches wrestled with 148 (#9). Bernstein is 3-0 in dual action this season and stands 24-4 in dual matches over his career.
Projected Navy Lineup
• 125 - Aslan Kilic (Fr, 10-10 overall, 3-4 dual)
• 133 - Cody Trybus (Fr, 12-12, 4-4)
• 141 - #20 Nicholas Gil (Jr, 26-6, 6-2)
• 149 - Corey Wilding (Sr, 22-7, 6-1)
• 157 - Zack Davis (Sr, 23-9, 6-2)
• 165 - #20 Drew Daniels (Sr, 21-3, 7-1)
• 174 - #8 Jadaen Bernstein (Sr, 19-3, 3-0)
• 184 - #18 Michael Coleman (Sr, 26-5, 7-0)
• 197 - Steban Cervantes (Sr, 9-7, 3-2)
• 285 - Austin Faunce (Sr, 13-13m 3-4)
Mids In the Rankings
• 141 - Junior Nicholas Gil
No. 20 InterMat
No. 21 Trackwrestling
No. 20 NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking
• 149 - Sophomore Jared Prince
No. 22 Trackwrestling
No. 20 NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking
• 157- Zack Davis
No. 28 NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking
• 165 - Senior Drew Daniels
No. 20 InterMat
No. 24 Trackwrestling
No. 19 NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking
• 174 - Senior Jadaen Bernstein
No. 8 InterMat
No. 8 Trackwrestling
No. 8 FloWrestling
No. 8 NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking
• 184 - Senior Michael Coleman
No. 18 InterMat
No. 17 Trackwrestling
No. 17 FloWrestling
No. 14 NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking
George Mason Notebook
• The Patriots enter Tuesday’s match against the Mids with a 3-10 overall mark, including a 1-1 record in Eastern Wrestling League action.
• George Mason’s wins this season were against The Citadel (24-13), Sacred Heart (32-10) and Davidson (29-9). The Patriots, meanwhile, have lost five straight duals (Rider Lock Haven, Clarion, Cleveland State, Edinboro) heading into the Navy match.
• The Patriots have three wrestlers with double-digit victories, including redshirt junior heavyweight Matthew Voss who has put together a team-best 18-9 record. Redshirt senior Ibrahim Bunduka owns a 17-9 mark at 125 pounds, while redshirt junior Tejon Anthony has posted a 16-10 record at 149 pounds.
Projected George Mason Lineup
• 125 - Ibrahim Bunduka (RSr, 17-9, 8-4)
• 133 - Victor Echeverria (RFr, 8-14, 2-5)
• 141 - Trevor Mello (So, 3-16, 1-8)
• 149 - Tejon Anthony (RJr, 16-10, 5-5)
• 157 - Bryce Reddington (Fr, 9-14, 1-6)
• 165 - Austin Wilkerson (Fr, 0-2, 0-2)
• 174 - Levko Higgins (Fr, 3-15, 0-9)
• 184 - Austin Harrison (RJr, 3-11, 2-9)
• 197 - Eli Spencer (RFr, 4-11, 3-7)
• 285 - Matthew Voss (RJr, 18-9, 8-4)
• Tuesday’s match marks the 10th meeting between Navy and George Mason with the Mids winning all nine previously-wrestled matches
• The inaugural match in the series was on Jan. 8, 1983, when Navy posted a 37-6 victory in Lancaster, Pa.
• The two teams have met four times in the last six seasons with the Patriots’ last trip to Annapolis a 26-18 loss on Feb. 3, 2016.
• Navy is 3-0 against George Mason in duals wrestled in Annapolis.
• The Mids will wrestle their final dual of the season on Friday, Feb. 17 when they play host to Army in the annual Star Match. Action is set for 7:30 pm at Alumni Hall where the evening will kick off by recognizing Navy’s senior wrestlers and support staff.
### Go Navy ###