Navy Wrestling Faces American in EIWA Battle
Feb. 7, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Navy and American will meet for just the 10th time in series history when the two clash in the nation’s capital Saturday evening at Bender Arena beginning at 7:00 pm. The Mids own a commanding 8-1 series advantage, including a 32-9 victory last year in Annapolis.
The Midshipmen are coming off coming off their sixth consecutive All-Academy Championship victory where junior 133-pound Colton Rasche (Plano, Ill.), 174-pound sophomore Mathew Miller (Edgewood, Md.) and 197-pound junior Paul Rands (Cary, Ill.) took individual titles.
Navy enters Saturday night’s match with a 3-1 dual meet mark, including a 1-1 record in EIWA action. The Mids have wins over Boston U. (33-3), Maryland (26-12) and North Carolina (19-18), while their lone loss was to Lehigh (26-6) in Bethlehem.
Navy junior 165-pound Peyton Walsh (Glen Allen, Va.) enters the weekend with not only the team’s best record at 23-10, he is the only wrestler who is undefeated in his four dual matches this winter. Over his three seasons at Navy, he has put together a 13-4 dual record, including a 6-1 mark a year ago.
Senior 149-pound Raymond Borja (Virginia Beach, Va.) and Rands have each earned 3-1 marks in dual compeition. While Borja placed second in last week’s All-Academy Championship, Rands picked up his first collegiate individual title. Rands will enter his match against freshman Brett Dempsey having won five straight matches beginning with his 7-1 victory over Lehigh’s John Bolich in mid-January.
Miller, meanwhile, has won four in a row including an impressive performance at the All-Academy Championship which saw him win both of his matches by fall. The returning NCAA qualifier was in and out of the lineup this season while he battle injuries, but now healthy he will take a 2-1 dual mark and a 15-4 overall mark into his bout on Saturday.
Led by third-year head coach Teague Moore, American stands 6-6 in dual action this season and 4-4 against members from the EIWA. The Eagles have lost three of their last five, including a 21-18 decision at Bucknell last Friday.
Anchoring the team is redshirt sophomore David Terao who has amassed a 26-7 record this season (10-2 dual) at 125 pounds and is ranked seventh nationally. Redshirt senior Daniel Mitchell is 13th in the national rankings at 197 pounds, however, he has battled injuries recently. He owns a 19-6 mark this season, including a 9-3 record in dual action, while posting a team-best seven falls.
Fans unable to attend Saturday’s wrestling match can follow along live via the Patriot League Network at PatriotLeague.tv
Projected Navy Lineup
• 125 - Brenden Campbell - Fr, New Castle, Ind. (9-9, 2-2)
• 133 - Colton Rasche - Jr, Plano, Ill. (20-9, 2-2)
• 141 - Joe Locksmith - Sr, Kissimmee, Fla. (15-12, 2-2)
• 149 - Raymond Borja - Sr, Virginia Beach, Va. (9-5, 3-1) -OR- Alex Johnson - Sr, Memphis, Tenn. (9-5, 0-0)
• 157 - Zach Johnson - Sr, Memphis, Tenn. (8-12, 1-3) -OR- Bobby Burg - So., Gasport, N.Y. (13-5, 0-0)
• 165 - Peyton Walsh - Jr, Glen Allen, Va. (23-10, 4-0)
• 174 - #11 Mathew Miller - So, Edgewood, Md. (15-4, 2-1)
• 184 - James Mannier - Sr, Troy, Ohio (15-12, 1-2) -OR- William Miller - So, Chinook, Mont. (10-8, 0-1)
• 197 - Paul Rands - Jr, Cary, Ill. (12-7, 3-1)
• 285 - Colynn Cook - Jr, Murrysville, Pa. (13-13, 2-2) -OR- Brendan Kahle - Jr, Abingdon, Md. (2-5, 0-0)
Projected American Lineup
• 125 - #7 David Terao - RS-So, Honolulu, Hawai’i (26-7, 10-2)
• 133 - Esteban Gomez-Rivera - So, Miami, Fla.(18-15, 6-6)
• 141 - Spencer Slishman - Fr, Scituate, Mass. (6-9, 2-2)
• 149 - Cole Moseley - RS-Fr, Nashville, Tenn. (9-9, 1-2)
• 157 - Joh Boyle - So, Rutherford, N.J. (18-15, 5-7)
• 165 - Christian Masaya - So, Brooklyn, N.Y. (1-15, 0-9) or Brad Mutchnik - RS-Fr, Owings Mills, Md. (7-7, 1-1)
• 174 - Keithen Cast - Sr, Broken Arrow, Okla. (15-13, 6-6)
• 184 - Jason Grimes - Fr, Atlanta, Ga. (12-17, 3-9)
• 197 - Brett Dempsey - Fr, Kalamazoo, Mich. (8-8, 0-0)
• 285 - Blake Herrin - RS-Sr, Huntsville, Ala. (15-9, 7-5)
### Go Navy ###