No. 19/12 Women's Lacrosse Concludes Three-Game Homestand Against Davidson
Feb. 21, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - No. 19/12 Navy women's lacrosse looks to wrap up its three-game homestand against Davidson on Sunday at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Sunday's game is slated for 12 noon and can be seen live and in HD on the Patriot League Digital Network (PatriotLeague.TV) with Joe Miller on the call with the play-by-play. Live statistics will also be available on navysports.com (.)
• Navy has the advantage in the all-time series at 4-1. The Mids have won the last four contests by an average of 8.75 goals.
• Navy and Davidson will meet at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium for the third time. The Mids have held the Wildcats to six goals or less in the previous two meetings
• Following its first three wins against Big South opponents to begin the season, Navy will look to improve to 19-3 all-time against the conference with Davidson on Sunday.
• Aimee Gennaro (7), Loren Generi (4) and Jill Coughlin (3) have combined for 14 points against Davidson in two previous contests. All three Mids recorded goals in Navy's 16-5 win back on Feb. 25, 2012 with Generi leading the charge with four goals.
• Davidson begins the season 0-1, following a loss to San Diego State, 11-10, on Feb. 16
• The Wildcats, who won the inaugural Big South Regular Season title and reached the tournament championship game, bring back a strong core from last year's squad that went a perfect 7-0 in league play.
• Davidson returns six of its top-eight scorers led by Big South Player of the Year Emily Cooke and first-team all-league performer Anna Fucigna.
• Junior goalkeeper Katy Boyle looks to take the starting role between the pipes for the Wildcats this season, having played in just four contests last season. Boyle tallied 10 saves against San Diego State to open the season.
• The Wildcats played well on the road last season, going 3-2 away from Davidson, N.C. In its three wins, Davidson outscored its opponents, 41-18, and played close contests in losses to Oregon (7-6) and Villanova (11-7).
Last Time Out
• Navy defeated Liberty, 19-3, in Annapolis at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Loren Generi led the Mids, for the third-straight game, with nine points on three goals and six assists.
• Generi (3g), Aimee Gennaro (4g) and Jill Coughlin (3g) combined for 10 of Navy's 19 goals. It's the third-straight contest that the three Mids have accounted for 50 percent or more of Navy's offensive output.
• Generi recorded six assists for the second consecutive game and surpassed her 2013 total (13) with her final assist of the game to give her 14 on the season.
• Gennaro and Coughlin each extended their consecutive games with a goal to 19 and six, respectively.
• Navy took a convincing 13-1 lead into the second half and did not look back. The Mids went on a 4-0 run to begin the second half before trading two goals each with Liberty to grab the 19-3 victory for the third of the season.
Leaders of the Midshipmen
• Navy has named seniors Jill Coughlin and Aimee Gennaro team captains for the 2014 season.
• Coughlin has seen action in all 66 games the past three seasons. She became a full-time starter halfway through her freshman season and has started in 52 of Navy's last 54 games.
• Gennaro has started every game (66 games) since the season opener of her freshman campaign in 2011. She will look to become just the second Midshipmen in program history to start every game (84 straight games; Kathy Young: 2010-13).
•Coughlin and Gennaro lead a senior class that has totaled 55 wins. The highest total by a senior Midshipmen class was the 2013 graduates with 69 wins.
Recognition For Timchal
• Head coach Cindy Timchal was honored by the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association with the 2013 IWLCA Diane Geppi-Aikens Award. The award honors lifetime achievement to the women's college game. This award is renamed for the former Loyola head coach who inspired the nation with her courageous battle with cancer.
• Timchal will begin her 32nd year as a head coach in the sport of women's lacrosse. She coached nine seasons at Northwestern (1982-90), 16 at Maryland (1991-2006) and will begin her eight overall at Navy (seventh at the varsity level with the Mids). Over that span, Timchal has accrued an NCAA record 434 wins, 98 of which have come at the Naval Academy in just seven seasons.