Women's Soccer Star Match on Tap for Friday Night
|GAME 16: NAVY (12-3, 5-0 PL) at ARMY (3-9-1, 1-4 PL)|
||Friday, Oct. 13, 7:00 PM|
|Game Notes||Navy Media Notes|
|Social Media||@NavyAthletics | Facebook | Instagram|
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A matchup of archrivals lays ahead of the Navy women's soccer team this Friday night at 7 p.m. as the Mids take their eight-game winning streak into hostile territory with a road contest at Army. Navy (12-3, 5-0 PL) will be looking to keep up its winning brand of soccer at Army's (3-9-1, 1-4 PL) Clinton Field, a location that the Mids are 1-1-1 over their last three trips and 2-2-2 over their last six.
Both live stats and video will be available for Friday's competition.
Navy vs. Army
• Friday will be the 29th meeting between the two schools in a series that began in Navy's second year of varsity existence in 1994 ... Starting on Sept. 20, 1994 and going through Nov. 8, 1997, Army took the first five games of the series ... Games six through 11 went the way of Mids from Oct. 30, 1998 through Oct. 26, 2001 ... Since then no team had gone better than 2-0-1 in any three-game stretch (Navy: 2006-2008 & 2014-16) ... The Mids' senior class of 2018 has secured two wins (Oct. 31, 2014 - W, 3-0; Sept. 16, 2016 - W, 1-0) and tie (Sept. 18, 2015 - T, 2-2) ... All-time, Navy has outscored Army, 36-24 ... In Star Games, Navy leads Army, 12-8-3.
• Last season in Annapolis, the Mids downed the Black Knights by a 1-0 score as Anabell Motley netted the game-winning goal in the ninth minute of play ... Clare MacAdam was credited with the assist on Motley's goal as she served her teammate in stride to set up the blast from the top of the box ... Army came out hot from the beginning as the visiting club peppered Navy goalkeeper Dayton Wetherby with five shots (three on goal) in the first 8:28 of the game ... The Mids' defense suffocated the Black Knights in the second half and allowed just one shot over the final 45 minutes of action ... For the game, Navy outshot Army, 10-9, though shots on goal were tied at 5-5 ... In the corner kick battle, Army took the decision, 6-1 ... Dayton Wetherby (`17) made five saves in goal for the Mids' shutout.
• Amongst returning players, Clare MacAdams has recorded a point in each of her first three matchups with goals in 2014 and 2015 and an assist in 2016 ... Meghan Hegarty (2014) and Anabell Motley (2016) each return having scored previous goals; Eleanor Pratt had an assist in 2015 ... Meghan Hegarty is the active leader in minutes played against Army with 262 minutes out of 290 since 2014.
Last 5 Matchups
In the last five meetings dating back to 2012, the Mids are 3-1-1 and have outscored the Black Knights, 7-4
Sept. 16, 2016: Navy 1 - Army 0
Sept. 18, 2015: Navy 2 - Army 2
Oct. 31, 2014: Navy 3 - Army 0
Nov. 1, 2013: Army 2 - Navy 0
Oct. 19, 2012: Navy 1 - Army 0
Common 2017 Opponents
|Lehigh||W, 2-0||L, 0-2|
|Loyola||W, 4-0||W, 1-0|
Comparing the Teams
|Patriot League Record||5-0||1-4|
|Goals||Eleanor Pratt, 9||5 Players, 1|
|Assists||Baseley McClaskey, 8||Clare Shea, 3|
|Points||Pratt, 19||Shea, 5|
|Shots||Clare MacAdam, 32||Shea, 26|
|GK Saves||Sydney Fortson, 61||Sydney Cassalia, 46|
What 2 Watch 4
• Navy comes into Saturday with the Patriot League's highest scoring offense with 2.27 goals scored per game ... During the Mids' current eight-game win streak, they've tallied 23 goals with 15 coming in the second half of contests
• Defensively, Navy is in the midst of five-plus straight shutouts ranging over 498:07 minutes
• The Mids are ranked 13th in the most recented United Soccer Coaches East Regional Poll, this is the fourth straight week that they've been ranked in the top-15 ... Amongst non-ACC teams in the region they're number four behind (3) Princeton, (10) St. Louis and (12) Hofstra
• 17 of Navy's 23 field players have recorded points this season with six having seven or more points.
• Junior forward Ash Fairow is first in the NCAA Division I with seven game-winning goals over 15 games
• Junior defender Baseley McClaskey is sixth in DI with eight assists
• Junior midfielder Eleanor Pratt is 20th in the nation with nine goals
• Navy is 12-0 this season when scoring at least one goal ... All three of the team's losses have come via shutouts ... Another note on their defeats, the Mids' three opponents in those games are a combined 31-7-3 in 2017