Navy Hosts Colgate in Patriot League Semifinal Showdown
|GAME 20: PL SEMIFINALS - #4 COLGATE (10-6-2, 5-2-2 PL) at #1 NAVY (15-3-1, 8-0-1 PL)|
||Friday, Nov. 3, 5:00 PM|
|Location||Glenn Warner Soccer Facility|
|Game Notes||Navy Media Notes|
|Social Media||@NavyAthletics | Facebook | Instagram|
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy women's soccer team kicks off postseason play this weekend with the 2017 Patriot League Tournament. As the league's regular season champion, the Mids (15-3-1, 8-0-1 PL) will host the entire event at the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility with semifinal action beginning on Friday. First up for Navy is a matchup with the fourth-seeded Colgate Raiders (10-6-2, 5-2-2 PL) at 5:00 p.m. Should the Midshipmen come away with the victory, an appearance in Sunday's Patriot League Championship Final at 12 p.m. awaits the team.
Both live stats and video will be available for Friday's game.
Patriot League Tournament
The schedule for this weekend's tournament in Annapolis is as follows ...
Friday, 5:00 PM, #1 Navy vs. #4 Colgate (Semifinal 1)
Friday, 7:30 PM, #2 Bucknell vs. #3 Boston U. (Semifinal 2)
Sunday, 12:00 PM, Championship Game (G1 Winner vs. G2 Winner)
Navy vs. Colgate
• Friday will be the 35th meeting between the two schools in a series that began in Navy’s second year of varsity existence in 1994 ... In that Oct. 16, 1994 matchup, Colgate took the contest by a 3-0 margin ... The Raiders would build up a 6-0 lead in the series over the first four years before extending the margin out to 9-1 following a postseason win over the Mids in 1999 ... Navy started leveling out the series in the second half of the 00’s with five straight wins between 2006 and 2008, including two victories in tournament action ... Since 2010, Navy has posted a 6-1-3 record with wins in each of the two program’s last four matchups ... Colgate is Navy’s most common opponent in Patriot League Tournament play with 11 contests between the two; the Raiders lead that series, 7-4 ... All-time, Colgate has outscored Navy, 46-38.
• Two weeks ago, these two teams met in Hamilton, N.Y. on Oct. 21 and saw Navy score itself a key road victory over Colgate by the count of 2-1. Both teams came into the matchup undefeated over their past 10 games, with Navy at 9-0-1 and Colgate at 8-0-2 during that span. The visiting Mids used first half goals by Ash Fairow and Alex Jackson to knock off the Raiders.
• Amongst current players, Ash Fairow leads a quartet of players, who have found the back of the net versus Colgate as the junior has scored three goals (2015, 2016-PLT, 2017); Alex Jackson (2017), Cadie Higginson (2016-Reg.) and Meghan Hegarty (2014) have also tallied goals ... In terms of assists, Megan Rogers has a team-high three helpers over five matchups, while Higginson (2017), Karli Sottung (2016-Reg.) and Clare MacAdam (2015) have one assist each ... Hegarty is active leader in minutes played against Colgate since 2014 with 448 minutes on the field out of a potential 486.
Last 5 Matchups:
In the last five matchups dating back to 2014, the Mids are 4-0-1 and have outscored the Raiders, 12-6
Oct. 21, 2017: Navy 2 - Colgate 1
Nov. 1, 2016: Navy 2 - Colgate 0 (Patriot League Quarterfinals)
Oct. 15, 2016: Navy 4 - Colgate 3, 2ot
Oct. 17, 2015: Navy 3 - Colgate 1
Oct. 4, 2014: Navy 1 - Colgate 1
Patriot League Tournament History
The Navy women's soccer team has reached the Patriot League tournament in 20 of its 25 years of existence, including each of the past seven seasons ... All-time, the Mids are 17-16 in the tournament with a 5-5 mark as the number one seed ... In semifinal action, Navy is 11-8 ... The team has won Patriot League titles and automatic bids into the NCAA Tournament in 2003, 2006 and 2007.
Comparing the Teams
|Patriot League Record||8-0-1||5-2-2|
|Goals||Ash Fairow / Eleanor Pratt, 9||Cosentino/Sotomayor, 6|
|Assists||Baseley McClaskey, 8||Mara Cosentino, 4|
|Points||Fairow / Pratt, 19||Cosentino, 16|
|Shots||Clare MacAdam, 39||Abby Sotomayor, 49|
|GK Saves||Sydney Fortson, 69||Kelly Chiavaro, 52|
What 2 Watch 4
• Navy comes into Friday with the Patriot League’s highest scoring offense with 2.05 goals scored per game ... During the Mids’ current 12-game unbeaten streak (11-0-1), they’ve tallied 28 goals with 17 coming in the second half of contests, while holding opponents to just one goal in the second half
• Defensively, Navy gave up its first goal since Sept. 15, on Oct. 21 at Colgate, concluding its shutout streak of 719:21 straight minutes (seven-plus games)
• Navy is participating in its seventh straight Patriot League postseason tournament ... The Mids are the first seed for the sixth time in 20 postseason berths and are 5-0 in semifinal matchups as the top seed
• The Mids are ranked 13th in the most recent United Soccer Coaches East Regional Poll, this is the seventh straight week that they’ve been ranked in the top-15 ... Amongst non-ACC teams in the region they’re number four behind (4) Princeton, (10) Hofstra, (11) La Salle
• 18 of Navy’s 23 field players have recorded points in 2017 with seven having eight or more points
• Junior forward Ash Fairow is second in the NCAA Division I with seven game-winning goals
• Navy is 15-0 this season when scoring at least one goal ... All three of the team’s losses (and one tie) have come via shutouts ... Another note on their defeats, the Mids’ three opponents in those losses are a combined 38-13-4 in 2017
Parking / Shuttle Information
Fans are reminded that the general public does not have access to drive their vehicles on to the U.S. Naval Academy. Fans may park at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium for $5 and take a shuttle that will run every 10 minutes starting at 4:00 PM, one hour prior to the game and will continue running until one hour after the game is completed. Fans 18 and over need a government-issued photo ID. Enter Gate 5 off Taylor Ave. to park at the stadium. Dogs are not permitted inside the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility.