Patriot League Championship Match Awaits Navy Women's Soccer
|GAME 21: PL FINALS - #2 BUCKNELL (11-8, 7-2 PL) at #1 NAVY (16-3-1, 8-0-1 PL)|
||Sunday, Nov. 5, 12:00 PM|
|Location||Glenn Warner Soccer Facility|
|Game Notes||Navy Media Notes|
|Social Media||@NavyAthletics | Facebook | Instagram|
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy women's soccer team will look to earn its first Patriot League postseason title since 2007 when the squad hosts Bucknell on Sunday in the championship final of the 2017 Patriot League Tournament. In a rematch from Oct. 28, the top-seeded Mids will take on second-seeded Bison after both teams secured victories on Friday night in the semifinal round of the tournament. An Ash Fairow hat trick led the Mids to a 3-0 win over Colgate, while Bucknell used an Alex Catanzarite goal in the 87th minute to edge Boston University, 1-0. The match kicks off at 12:00 p.m. at the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility.
Both live stats and video will be available for Sunday's game.
Patriot League Tournament
The schedule for this weekend's tournament in Annapolis is as follows ...
Friday, 5:00 PM, #1 Navy 3 - #4 Colgate, 0
Friday, 7:30 PM, #2 Bucknell 1 - #3 Boston U. 0
Sunday, 12:00 PM, Championship Game: #1 Navy - #2 Bucknell
Navy vs. Bucknell
• Sunday will be the 29th meeting between the two schools in a series that began in Navy’s second year of varsity existence in 1994 ... In that Oct. 22, 1994 matchup, the Mids earned a 2-1 victory over the Bison ... Since that initial contest, the series has gone in multi-year waves numerous times ... From 1995 through 1999, Navy went 4-0-1 before the programs split six games between 2002 and 2007 with Navy winning the first three and Bucknell the later three ... More recently, the Mids won four straight from 2011 to 2014 before going 1-2-1 in their last four matchups ... The two teams have met four times in Patriot League Tournament play with each coming away with two victories ... Navy won its most recent Patriot League Tournament title over Bucknell in 2007 ... Bucknell ended Navy’s season in 2015 in the Patriot League Semifinals ... All-time, Navy has outscored Bucknell, 43-28 and is 8-5-1 in games played in Annapolis.
• One week ago, these two teams met in Annapolis, Md. on Oct. 28 and saw Navy completed its unbeaten Patriot League season with a 2-1 victory over Bucknell on Senior Day. The Mids (8-0-1 PL) used goals by Cadie Higginson and Mary August to win the secure the Patriot League regular season title and hosting duties for this Patriot League Tournament over second-place Bucknell (7-2 PL).
• Amongst current players, Clare MacAdam, Karli Sottung, Higginson and August have netted goals versus Bucknell with MacAdam scoring twice in 2014, Sottung once in 2016 and Higginson and August once in 2017 ... In terms of assists, Eleanor Pratt in 2016 and MacAdam in 2017 have tallied assists for Navy ... Megan Rogers is active leader in minutes played against Bucknell since 2014 with 403 minutes on the field out of a potential 470.
Last 5 Matchups
In the last five matchups dating back to 2014, the Mids are 2-2-1 with both teams notching six goals
Oct. 28, 2017: Navy 2 - Bucknell 1
Oct. 8, 2016: Bucknell 2 - Navy 1, 1ot
Nov. 6, 2015: Bucknell 3 - Navy 0 (Patriot League Semifinals)
Oct. 10, 2015: Navy 0 - Bucknell 0
Oct. 10, 2014: Navy 3 - Bucknell 0
Patriot League Tournament History
The Navy women's soccer team has reached the Patriot League tournament in 20 of its 25 years of existence, including each of the past seven seasons ... All-time, the Mids are 18-16 in the tournament with a 6-5 mark as the number one seed ... In semifinal action, Navy is 12-8 ... In the finals, the Mids are 3-8 ... The team has won Patriot League titles and automatic bids into the NCAA Tournament in 2003, 2006 and 2007.
Comparing the Teams
|Patriot League Record||8-0-1||7-2|
|Goals||Ash Fairow, 12||Kendall Ham, 9|
|Assists||Baseley McClaskey, 9||Holtz/Dano, 5|
|Points||Fairow, 25||K. Ham, 21|
|Shots||Clare MacAdam, 41||K. Ham, 52|
|GK Saves||Sydney Fortson, 72||Dani Kaufman, 100|
What 2 Watch 4
• Navy comes into Sunday with the Patriot League’s highest scoring offense with 2.10 goals scored per game ... During the Mids’ current 13-game unbeaten streak (12-0-1), they’ve tallied 31 goals with 18 coming in the second half of contests, while holding opponents to just one goal in the second half
• Defensively, Navy gave up its first goal since Sept. 15, on Oct. 21 at Colgate, concluding its shutout streak of 719:21 straight minutes (seven-plus games)
• Navy is participating in its seventh straight Patriot League postseason tournament ... The Mids are the #1 seed for the sixth time in 20 postseason berths and are now 6-0 in the semifinals, but has dropped all five previous championship finals by one goal in each contest
• The Mids are ranked 13th in the most recent United Soccer Coaches East Regional Poll, this is the seventh straight week that they’ve been ranked in the top-15 ... Amongst non-ACC teams in the region they’re number four behind (4) Princeton, (10) Hofstra, (11) La Salle
• 18 of Navy’s 23 field players have recorded points in 2017 with seven having eight or more points
• Junior forward Ash Fairow is second in the NCAA Division I with eight game-winning goals
• Navy is 16-0 this season when scoring at least one goal ... All three of the team’s losses (and one tie) have come via shutouts ... Another note on their defeats, the Mids’ three opponents in those losses are a combined 39-13-4 in 2017
Parking / Shuttle Information
Fans are reminded that the general public does not have access to drive their vehicles on to the U.S. Naval Academy. Fans may park at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium for $5 and take a shuttle that will run every 10 minutes starting at 4:00 PM, one hour prior to the game and will continue running until one hour after the game is completed. Fans 18 and over need a government-issued photo ID. Enter Gate 5 off Taylor Ave. to park at the stadium. Dogs are not permitted inside the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility.