Virginia Tech Stops Navy Women's Tennis, 6-1
Jan. 20, 2013
BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The Virginia Tech women's tennis team won all three doubles matches and then won 5-of-6 singles matches to hand the Midshipmen their first loss of the season in a 6-1 setback. The Hokies improved to 2-0 on the season, while Navy fell to 1-1.
Senior captain Stefanie Ton (Milpitas, Calif.) was the lone Navy player to record a win, as she topped Mariana Silva, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 6 singles.
"Stef really did a nice job of controlling the match throughout," said Navy head coach Keith Puryear. "She was down 4-3 in second set, but turned things around and pulled it out in straight sets and played a really nice match for us."
Four of the Hokies' singles win came in straight sets with Emani Decquir (Sacramento, Calif.) dropped a three-set decision to Virginia Tech's Ilinca Stoica, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8).
"Emani lost her first set, but did a good job figuring out what she needed to do to turn things around," said Puryear. "She was facing a very, very good player, so she is to really be commended on her effort. She came within a hair of winning her match in the third set."
Navy lost straight-set matches at Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5, with Sam Droop (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) dropping a second-set tiebreaker in her match.
"There are obviously some areas we need to address, but I was really pleased with our fight in both singles and doubles. We still need to work on execution, but our fight was there."
The Midshipmen will play three matches next weekend, hosting Saint Joseph's next Saturday at 8:00 AM in Annapolis. Navy's top lineup will travel to upstate New York to take on St. Bonaventure on Saturday at 11:00 AM and Syracuse on Sunday at 9:00 AM.
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1. Stoica / Williford (VT) def. Snook / Kaufmann (NAVY) 8-1
2. Mita / Kahoun (VT) def. Decquir / Droop (NAVY) 8-3
3. Lauten / Silva (VT) def. Antill / Sears (NAVY) 8-6
Singles (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1)
1. Ilinca Stoica (VT) def. Emani Decquir (NAVY) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Erin Snook (NAVY) 6-1, 6-2
3. Raluca Mita (VT) def. Darien Sears (NAVY) 6-4, 6-2
4. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Logan Antill (NAVY) 6-1, 6-3
5. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def. Sam Droop (NAVY) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Stefanie Ton (NAVY) def. Mariana Silva (VT) 6-4, 6-4
# GO NAVY #s