Puryear Wins 500th Match As Women's Tennis Splits Saturday's Action
Keith Puryear won his 500th career match vs. St. Bonaventure.
Jan. 26, 2013
OLEAN, N.Y. -- The Navy women's tennis team split in Saturday's action, as the top squad defeated St. Bonaventure, 7-0, while Navy's reserves fell to Saint Joseph's, 5-2. The split moves Navy's record to 2-2 overall.
The story of the day, however, comes from head coach Keith Puryear, who won his 500th career match in his 24th season as a collegiate head coach. Puryear owns a 57-19 record in his fifth year at Navy. Four-hundred and 43 wins came at UMBC, where he was the head coach of both the men's and women's teams.
Navy breezed past traditional Atlantic 10 power St. Bonaventure, 7-0. The Midshipmen won all three doubles matches, holding the Bonnies to just six games won. Logan Antill (Butler, Pa.) and Darien Sears (Silver Spring, Md.) won at No. 3 doubles by an 8-1 decision. The Midshipmen then clinched the doubles point with an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles by Noelle Kaufmann (Westlake, Ohio) and Erin Snook (Tampa, Fla.). Emani Decquir (Sacramento, Calif.) and Sam Droop (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) completed the doubles sweep at No. 2 doubles with an 8-3 triumph.
The Mids then cruised through singles play, winning all six matches in straight sets. Antill (No. 4 ), Droop (No. 5) and Stefanie Ton (Milpitas, Calif.; No. 6) all won by identical 6-0, 6-0 margins.
Decquir would win at No. 1 singles by a 6-3, 6-3 score, Snook won at No. 2 singles by a 7-6 (2), 6-4 tally and Sears would win at No. 3 singles by a 6-1, 6-1 score.
It was Navy's second 7-0 win of the season.
Meanwhile, in Annapolis, Navy would win two-of-three doubles matches to take a 1-0 match lead, but would win just one-of-six singles matches to fall to the Hawks, 5-2.
Porter would be the lone victor for Mids in singles play, winning at No. 6 singles by a 6-1, 7-5 score.
Navy will face Syracuse in Syracuse, N.Y., on Sunday at 9:00 AM.
NAVY 7, ST. BONAVENTURE 0
Doubles Play (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2)
1) Kaufmann / Snook (Navy) d. Amiri / Broussard (SBU), 8-2
2) Decquir / Droop (Navy) d. Cole / Kvas (SBU), 8-3
3) Antill / Sears (Navy) d. Archer / Hammill (SBU), 8-1
Singles Play (Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6)
1) Emani Decquir (Navy) d. Fatya Amiri (SBU), 6-3, 6-3
2) Erin Snook (Navy) d. Marisa Broussard (SBU), 7-6 (2), 6-4
3) Darien Sears (Navy) d. Kathryn Kvas (SBU), 6-1, 6-1
4) Logan Antill (Navy) d. Taylor Cole (SBU), 6-0, 6-0
5) Sam Droop (Navy) d. Riley Archer (SBU), 6-0, 6-0
6) Stefanie Ton (Navy) d. Jillian Hammell (SBU), 6-0, 6-0
GAMES WON: Navy 97, St. Bonaventure 24
SAINT JOSEPH'S 5, NAVY 2
1) Das / Porter (Navy) d. Eisenbrand / Robinson (SJU) , 8-3
2) Davis / Roy (SJU) d. Carlson / Thorsell (Navy), 8-4
3) Chau / Fisbeck (Navy) d. Jadeja / Mulguin (SJU), 8-4
1) Casey Robinson (SJU) d. Dye Das (Navy), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
2) Aurora Davis (SJU) d. Mikaela Carlson (Navy), 6-2, 6-2
3) Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) d. Vivian Chau (Navy), 6-3, 6-4
4) Devi Jadeja (SJU) d. Cassandra Fisbeck (Navy), 6-3, 6-4
5) Kelly Mulguin (SJU) d. Tracy Thorsell (Navy), 7-5, 6-3
6) Katie Porter (Navy) d. Arianne Polatnick (SJU), 6-1, 7-5
GAMES WON: Saint Joseph's 86, Navy 67
# GO NAVY #