Syracuse Women's Tennis Tops Midshipmen, 6-1
Jan. 27, 2013
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Freshman Logan Antill won Navy's lone match on Sunday, as the Syracuse women's tennis team swept the doubles portion and won five-of-six singles matches to hand the Midshipmen a 6-1 setback in Syracuse.
The loss drops Navy's overall record to 2-3 and ended its three-match weekend with a 1-2 record. Syracuse, which was ranked No. 72 in the ITA preseason poll, improved to 1-5 on the season.
Antill, a freshman from Butler, Pa., won a three-set decision at No. 4 singles over Sophia Dzulynsky, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1. She improved to 3-1 during the dual-meet season, winning both of her matches this weekend, and is now 15-6 overall this season, just one win shy of entering Navy's single-season top 10 victories list already.
Syracuse won all three doubles matches, allowing the Midshipmen to win just eight matches. The duo of Emani Decquir (Sacramento, Calif.) and Sam Droop (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) dropped an 8-4 decision at No. 2 doubles, while Noelle Kaufmann (Westlake, Ohio) and Erin Snook (Tampa, Fla.) fell 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. Darien Sears (Silver Spring, Md.) and Antill also dropped an 8-2 decision at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, Decquir had the best opportunity for a win, falling in three sets at No. 1 singles to Maddie Kobelt. Decquir won the first set, 6-4, but dropped the final two sets, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6). Snook also had her chances at No. 2 singles, falling 7-5, 7-5 to Komal Safdar.
Navy will be in action next weekend when it hosts Villanova at 8:00 AM on Saturday and George Mason (11:00 AM) and Morgan State (3:00 PM) on Sunday.
SYRACUSE 6, NAVY 1
GAMES WON: Syracuse 94, Navy 53
1. Maddie Kobelt (SU) def. Emani Decquir (NAVY), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Komal Safdar (SU) def. Erin Snook (NAVY), 7-5, 7-5
3. Amanda Rodgers (SU) def. Darien Sears (NAVY), 6-4, 6-3
4. Logan Antill (NAVY) def. Sophia Dzulynsky (SU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Brenna Bachini (SU) def. Sam Droop (NAVY), 6-1, 6-0
6. Aleah Marrow (SU) def. Noelle Kaufmann (NAVY), 6-4, 6-0
1. Kobelt / Marrow (SU) d. Snook / Kaufmann (NAVY), 8-2
2. Safdar/Rodgers (SU) d. Decquir / Droop (NAVY), 8-4
3. Wu/Dzulynsky (SU) d. Sears / Antill (NAVY), 8-2
# GO NAVY #