Women's Tennis Goes 2-0 Over George Washington and Villanova on Saturday
Audrey Channell was one of six Mids with both wins in singles and doubles
Feb. 1, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy women's tennis team extended its program-record home winning streak to 20 straight matches with a pair of wins on Saturday at the Brigade Sports Complex. In the first match of the day, the Mids (5-1) defeated George Washington (0-2) by a score of 4-3 before concluding their day with a 6-1 win over Villanova (0-2). In a complete team effort, six different Mids recorded single wins in both singles and doubles action.
"I was very pleased with both of today's results," said Navy head coach Keith Puryear. "We had two hard fought wins against two very good teams. It was a total team effort throughout the day. This week was tough for us with the flu bug and some of athletes were still under the weather today so to pull out these wins showed good character and fight. In both cases securing the doubles win was key, as well as carrying over that momentum."
In their opening match of the day versus the Colonials of George Washington (0-2), the Mids collected a quick doubles point before winning four of their six singles match to secure the 4-3 victory. Navy's No. 3 team of Sam Droop (So., Hilton Head, S.C.) and Darien Sears (Sr., Silver Spring, Md.) knotted the doubles competition at 1-1 when it defeated GW's pairing of Wei and Carpenter by a 6-1 score. The No. 2 doubles team of Erin Snook (Sr., Tampa, Fla.) and Summer Ralston (Fr., Roswell, Ga.) defeated GW's Pascarella and Hansen, 6-2, to earn the doubles point.
In singles action, Gabby Winter (Jr., Orlando, Fla.) earned the first point for the Mids with an efficient 6-1, 6-0 win over Christina Carpenter. Droop and Mikaela Carlson (So., Carmel, Ind.) followed Winter's victory with wins of their own. Droop defeated Grace Egger at the No. 3 position, 6-3, 6-2, while Carlson went 6-4, 7-5 over Isabella Escobar at No. 6.
Navy rounded out Saturday with an afternoon victory over the Villanova Wildcats of the Big East conference by a 6-1 score.
The doubles point was secured with victories by Cassandra Fisbeck (So., Granada Hills, Calif.) and Rozel Hernandez (Fr., San Diego, Calif.) at No. 3 (6-0) and Audrey Channell (Fr., Cary, N.C.) and Winter at No. 2 (6-4).
With a 1-0 lead in the match, the Mids cruised in singles action led by Hernandez' 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles over Kate Pettee. Allie Pavlansky (Austintown, Ohio) and Fisbeck both defeated their opponents in straight sets by 6-0, 6-4 scores; Pavalansky at No. 6 and Fisbeck at No. 3.
Channell and Ralston collected the final two wins for Navy as Channell took the No. 2 match by a score of 6-2, 6-1 before Ralston closed out Connor Brewer at No. 4 by a score of 7-6 (5), 7-5.
"All of the players deserved recognition as the fought and competed throughout the day," said Puryear. "Even the ones who didn't see action did a great job of supporting their teammates and that was critical."
"We have two tough matches ahead of us tomorrow."
The Mids will be back in action Sunday with another pair of home matches. Play begins at 9:30 a.m. with a competition versus George Mason before taking on Morgan State at 2:00 p.m.
Navy 4 - George Washington 3
Brigade Sports Complex
1. Lana Robins/Grace Egger (GW) def. Noelle Kaufmann/Mikaela Carlson, 6-1
2. Erin Snook/Summer Ralston (Navy) def. Leah Pascarella/Allison Hansen, 6-2
3. Sam Droop/Darien Sears (Navy) def. Stephanie Wei/Christina Carpenter, 6-1
1. Lana Robins (GW) def. Erin Snook, 6-2, 6-0
2. Leah Pascarella (GW) def. Darien Sears, 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
3. Sam Droop (Navy) def. Grace Egger, 6-3, 6-2
4. Taylor Nederlander (GW) def. Noelle Kaufmann, 6-4, 7-5
5. Gabby Winter (Navy) def. Christina Carpenter, 6-1, 6-0
6. Mikaela Carlson (Navy) def. Isabella Escobar, 6-4, 7-5
Navy 6 - Villanova 1
1. Mikelle Mancini/Connor Brewer (VU) led Logan Antill/Katie Porter, 5-3, uf
2. Gabby Winter/Audrey Channell (Navy) def. Sam Schafer/Linley Busby, 6-4
3. Cassandra Fisbeck/Rozel Hernandez (Navy) def. Kate Pettee/Hayley Sanzone, 6-0
1. Mikelle Mancini (VU) def. Katie Porter, 6-3, 7-5
2. Audrey Channell (Navy) def. Sam Schafer, 6-2, 6-1
3. Cassandra Fisbeck (Navy) def. Linley Busby, 6-0, 6-4
4. Summer Ralston (Navy) def. Connor Brewer, 7-6 (5), 7-5
5. Rozel Hernandez (Navy) def. Kate Pettee, 6-0, 6-0
6. Allie Pavlansky (Navy) def. Hayley Sanzone, 6-0, 6-4