Navy Women's Tennis Tops Longwood and Coppin State on Saturday
Stefanie Ton won her 100th career combined match against Longwood.
Feb. 9, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy women's tennis team continued its strong play on Saturday by sweeping Longwood and Coppin State at the Brigade Sports Complex.
The wins improve Navy to 7-3 overall and the Midshipmen have now won five matches in a row.
In the day's first match, the Midshipmen defeated Longwood, 6-1, winning all six singles matches after dropping the doubles point. Navy won the first completed doubles match, an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles by Logan Antill (Fr. / Butler, Pa.) and Darien Sears (Jr. / Silver Spring, Md.). The duo moved to 5-2 during the spring season, the only Navy pair with more than two doubles victories.
However, Navy lost the doubles point after falling at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles, including a tiebreaker loss at No. 2 doubles by Mikaela Carlson (Fr. / Carmel, Ind.) and Tracy Thorsell (Fr. / Martinsville, Ind.).
But the Mids turned it on in singles play, winning all six matches with five of the victories coming in straight sets.
Senior Stefanie Ton (Milpitas, Calif.) won her 100th career match (singles and doubles combined) with a 6-1, 6-1 decision at No. 5 singles to tie the match at 1-1. Sears increased the Navy lead to 2-1 at No. 3 singles in a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Emani Decquir (Sr. / Sacramento, Calif.) then won at No. 1 singles by a 6-2, 6-1 tally and freshman Katie Porter (Matthews, N.C.) clinched the match for the Midshipmen in a 6-2, 7-6 (5) triumph at No. 6 singles.
For good measure, Antill won her 17th match of the year, which is tied for the ninth most in a season in school history, in a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles. Lastly, junior Erin Snook (Tampa, Fla.) won her 100th career match as well (singles and doubles combined) in a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (1) win at No. 2 singles.
Ton and Snook joined Decquir (106 wins) as member of the 100-victory club at Navy.
Navy then cruised past Coppin State, 7-0, winning 76 total games to Coppin State's two.
Navy won the doubles point after Porter and Ton won by an 8-0 score at No. 1 doubles and Carrie Laskey (So. / Fort Thomas, Ky.) and Kristy Yau (So. / Dacula, Ga.) won by an 8-1 score at No. 2 doubles. No. 3 doubles was not contested.
The Mids lost just one singles game to the Eagles, disposing of Coppin State quickly.
Sam Droop (Fr. / Hilton Head Island, S.C.), Noelle Kaufmann (So. / Westlake, Ohio), Dye Das (Sr. / Cherry Hill, N.J.) and Cassandra Fisbeck (Fr. / Granada Hills, Calf.) won by 6-0, 6-0 scores at Nos. 1, 2, 4 and 5 and Thorsell won at No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-1.
Navy will return to action next weekend with three matches when the Mids host Manhattan (Saturday, 10:00 AM), Richmond (Saturday, 3:00 PM) and James Madison (Sunday, 12:00 PM).
NAVY 6, LONGWOOD 1
Games Won: Navy 93, Longwood 47
Doubles Play: (Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2)
1) Antill / Sears (Navy) d. Pinyol / Shulman (LW), 8-6
2) Allgurin / Moomau (LW) d. Carlson / Thorsell (Navy), 9-8 (5)
3) Hill / Parker (LW) d. Droop / Kaufmann (Navy), 8-5
Singles Play: (Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 6, 4, 2)
1) Emani Decquir (Navy) d. Marta Pinyol, 6-2, 6-1
2) Erin Snook (Navy) d. Marin Allgurin, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-1)
3) Darien Sears (Navy) d. Allison Shulman (LW), 6-1, 6-0
4) Logan Antill (Navy) d. Sarah Moomau (LW), 6-3, 6-1
5) Stefanie Ton (Navy) d. Hannah Hill (LW), 6-1, 6-1
6) Katie Porter (Navy) d. Nicole Parker (LW), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
NAVY 7, COPPIN STATE 0
Games Won: Navy 76, Coppin State 2
Doubles Play: (Order of Finish: 1, 2)
1) Porter / Ton (Navy) d. Milo / Taylor (CSU), 8-0
2) Laskey / Yau (Navy) d. Chisholm / Mitchell (CSU), 8-1
3) Navy won by default.
Singles Play: (Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 3, 1)
1) Sam Droop (Navy) d. Ashley Milo (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
2) Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) d. Miranda Taylor (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
3) Tracy Thorsell (Navy) d. Katherine Chisholm (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
4) Dye Das (Navy) d. Jennifer Mitchell (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
5) Cassandra Fisbeck (Navy) d. Lauretta Mukam (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
6) Navy won by default.
# GO NAVY #