Navy Women's Tennis Records Two Impressive Victories
Feb. 16, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy women's tennis team continued its red-hot play on Saturday, topping Manhattan and Richmond to run its winning streak to seven matches. The Midshipmen topped Manhattan, 7-0, before defeating Richmond, 6-1.
The wins improve Navy's record to 9-3 overall entering tomorrow's match with James Madison.
"I'm really pleased with the way we played in both matches. In the first match against Manhattan, we challenged them to come out quickly and to do the best job they could of playing a clean match. We did do that and really set the tone for the day," said Navy head coach Keith Puryear.
The Midshipmen cruised past Manhattan, 7-0, in recording their fifth 7-0 victory this season. The Midshipmen got it started in doubles play, where Navy allowed Manhattan to win just five games as Navy took a 1-0 match lead.
Noelle Kaufmann (So. / Westlake, Ohio) gave Navy a 2-0 match lead with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles for her 26th career singles victory. Cassandra Fisbeck (Fr. / Granada Hills, Calif.) gave Navy a 3-0 match lead with a 6-1, 6-0 decision at No. 6 singles. Tracy Thorsell (Fr. / Martinsville, Ind.) clinched the victory for the Midshipmen at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-1.
Mikaela Carlson (Fr. / Carmel, Ind.), Sam Droop (Fr. / Hilton Head Island, S.C.) and Dye Das (Sr. / Cherry Hill, N.J.) completed the sweep with straight-set victories at Nos. 4, 1 and 3, respectively.
The Midshipmen then earned perhaps their biggest win in the program's brief tenure with a 6-1 victory over Atlantic 10 power, Richmond. The Spiders have won the last four, and eight of the last nine, Atlantic 10 Championships and returned all but two players off last year's squad that was regionally ranked.
"I loved the way we competed with the tough week we had with six-week exams. To come out the way we played is a testament to the team," said Puryear. "To Richmond's defense, they did have a couple of players out with injury, but I don't want to discredit our effort. This is a big win for our program against a very good team."
Navy won the doubles point after Emani Decquir (Sr. / Sacramento, Calif.) and Droop won at No. 2 doubles and the Mids won via forfeit at No. 3 for a 1-0 match lead.
After a forfeit victory at No. 6 doubles, Stefanie Ton (Sr. / Milpitas, Calif.) won at No. 5 singles to push Navy to the edge of the team victory. Darien Sears (Jr. / Silver Spring, Md.) clinched the victory at No. 3 singles with a 6-1, 6-0, win.
The Midshipmen also got a pair of huge victories at Nos. 1 and 2 by Decquir and Erin Snook (Jr. / Tampa, Fla.). Both of the victories came in three sets and put a stamp on Navy's 6-1 victory.
"Emani has been on the cusp of a big breakthrough and today may have been the day. Beating Richmond's No. 1 player is a huge statement for her," said Puryear. "Erin and Emani both did a nice job after losing tough first set and they showed their resolve. This is just a great team win. Now, we have another big challenge on Sunday against another very good team in James Madison."
Navy will host the Dukes at noon at the Brigade Sports Complex in Annapolis.
NAVY 7, MANHATTAN 0
GAMES WON: Navy 96, Manhattan 17
Doubles Results: (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1) Carlson / Thorsell (Navy) d. Johnson / Turano, 8-1
2) Das / Fisbeck (Navy) d. Maffei / Tsao, 8-1
3) Laskey / Yau (Navy) d. Clark / Rosello, 8-3
Singles Results: (Order of Finish: 2, 6, 5, 4, 1, 3)
1) Sam Droop (Navy) d. Lili Johnson, 6-1, 6-3
2) Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) d. Brianna Turano, 6-0, 6-1
3) Dye Das (Navy) d. Stephanie Tsao, 6-1, 6-2
4) Mikaela Carlson (Navy) d. Alyssa Rosello, 6-1, 6-0
5) Tracy Thorsell (Navy) d. Catherine Clark, 6-1, 6-1
6) Cassandra Fisbeck (Navy) d. Megan Maffei, 6-1, 6-0
NAVY 6, RICHMOND 1
GAMES WON: Navy 69, Richmond 43
Doubles Results: (Order of Finish: 1, 2)
1) Kandinata / Salas (Rich.) d. Kaufmann / Snook, 8-5
2) Decquir / Droop (Navy) d. Abadias Morales / Gitman, 8-4
3) Antill / Sears (Navy) wins by forfeit
Singles Results: (Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1)
1) Emani Decquir (Navy) d. Melissa Kandinata, 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-3)
2) Erin Snook (Navy) d. Anna Abadias Morales, 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
3) Darien Sears (Navy) d. Katya Salas, 6-1, 6-0
4) Emily Gitman (Rich.) d. Logan Antill, 6-4, 6-4
5) Stefanie Ton (Navy) d. Georgina Pons Cano, 6-0, 6-2
6) Katie Porter (Navy) wins by forfeit
# GO NAVY #