Navy Women's Tennis Wins a Pair of Marathon Matches
Feb. 24, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- On a day that totaled almost 10 hours of tennis, the Navy women's tennis team won a pair of marathon matches to run its winning streak to 10 with 4-3 victories over both Drexel and Seton Hall on Sunday afternoon.
The wins move Navy's record to 12-3 overall, and was the Midshipmen's ninth and 10th straight victories. Navy is just one win shy of the school-record 11-match winning streak set at the start of the 2012 season.
Both matches lasted close to five hours.
In the day's first match, the Midshipmen rallied for a 4-3 victory over Drexel for their ninth straight win. The Midshipmen lost the doubles point after losing two of three matches, but regained their composure to win four of six singles matches for the thrilling victory.
Navy trailed 1-0 in the match after losing at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles, with the lone win coming from Sam Droop (Fr. / Hilton Head Island, S.C.) and Noelle Kaufmann (So. / Westlake, Ohio) at No. 3 doubles by an 8-4 tally.
Navy quickly tied the match at 1-1 with a win at No. 6 singles by Cassandra Fisbeck (Fr. / Granada Hills, Calif.) by a 6-1, 6-0 margin. Navy would go ahead 2-1 on a victory by freshman Tracy Thorsell (Martinsville, Ind.) at No. 5 singles in a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Aysenil Orhon.
After Drexel won at No. 1 singles to tie the match at 2-2, freshman Mikaela Carlson (Carmel, Ind.) was victorious at No. 4 singles with a three-set victory over Emma Brook, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
The Dragons tied the match again, this time at 3-3, with a victory at No. 2 singles, before senior Dye Das (Cherry Hill, N.J.) clinched the match for the Midshipmen in a 7-5, 5-7, 6-4 thriller at No. 3 singles.
Even though the Drexel match lasted five hours, it was a precursor to another marathon match coming against Seton Hall. The Mids would once again be forced to rally after dropping all three doubles matches to fall behind in the match, 1-0.
Taking over three hours to complete the singles matches, Navy would win four of the six matches to claim another thrilling 4-3 victory.
Darien Sears (Jr. / Silver Spring, Md.) would tie the match at 1-1 with a dominating 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles for her 51st career victory and 11th win of the season. Freshman Logan Antill (Butler, Pa.) would push the Navy lead to 2-1 with a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles for her 18th win of the season, good for seventh on the school's single-season victories list.
Navy would add to the lead when Droop would compile a 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 6 singles for a 3-1 match lead.
But Seton Hall rallied, winning the next two completed matches at Nos. 1 and 4 to tie the match at 3-3, setting up a wild finish at No. 5 singles to decide the match.
Freshman Katie Porter (Matthews, N.C.) would lose the first set at No. 5 singles, 6-3, but won the final two sets, 6-4, 6-3, to give Navy the thrilling 4-3 victory over the Big East member. Porter inproved to 6-0 on the season, all coming during the dual-meet season.
Navy has just one match next weekend, a 2:00 PM match against Howard on Saturday at the Brigade Sports Complex.
NAVY 4, DREXEL 3
Games Won: Navy 99, Drexel 83
Doubles Results (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2)
1) Mafa / Rosales (Drexel) d. Carlson / Thorsell, 8-6
2) Brook / Pivonka (Drexel) d. Das / Fisbeck, 9-7
3) Droop / Kaufmann (Navy) d. Orhon / Reyes, 8-4
Singles Results (Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 4, 2, 3)
1) Zeynep Mafa (Drexel) d. Katie Porter, 6-3, 6-1
2) Nicole Pivonka (Drexel) d. Noelle Kaufmann, 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3) Dye Das (Navy) d. Marcela Rosales, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
4) Mikaela Carlson (Navy) d. Emma Brook, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5) Tracy Thorsell (Navy) d. Aysenil Orhon, 6-2, 6-3
6) Cassandra Fisbeck (Navy) d. Mel Reyes, 6-1, 6-0
NAVY 4, SETON HALL 3
Games Won: Navy 90, Seton Hall 82
Doubles Results (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1) Portela / Sher (SHU) d. Decquir / Droop, 8-1
2) Cordero / Shoemaker (SHU) d. Antill / Sears, 8-4
3) Keenan / Landert (SHU) d. Fisbeck / Ton, 8-6
Singles Results (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 6, 1, 4, 5)
1) Chloe Sher (SHU) d. Emani Decquir, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2) Darien Sears (Navy) d. Rocio Portela, 6-0, 6-2
3) Logan Antill (Navy) d. Alex Landert, 6-1, 6-2
4) Madison Shoemaker (SHU) d. Stefanie Ton, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3)
5) Katie Porter (Navy) d. Karina Cordova, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6) Sam Droop (Navy) d. Maria Rodriguez, 6-4, 6-3
# GO NAVY #