Feb. 26, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy women's tennis team eased past Loyola, Md., in its opener on Sunday, then rallied past Drexel in the nightcap to remain undefeated on the season and push its record to 11-0.
This year's squad now owns the longest winning streak in school history at 11 matches, surpassing the nine straight victories set last year during March and April.
"I must really tip my hat to the ladies as this was a very impressive showing this weekend. To defeat two teams of this caliber on the same day, we really had to dig deep," said Navy head coach Keith Puryear. "Both matches took a total team effort and everyone did their part to ensure our success this weekend."
Navy opened the day with a 6-1 victory over Loyola, Md. The Midshipmen won two-of-three doubles matches to take a 1-0 match lead, then won the first five completed singles matches to ease to the victory.
In doubles play, Erin Snook (So. / Tampa, Fla.) and Noelle Kaufmann (Fr. / Westlake, Ohio) won the first completed doubles match, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles. Navy then won the doubles point with an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles by Emani Decquir (Jr. / Sacramento, Calif.) and Stefanie Ton (Jr. / Milpitas, Calif.).
Puryear then shuffled up his singles line-up, but managed to get the same results. Playing at No. 1 singles for the first time in her career, Ton won a 6-3, 6-1, victory for her 38th career singles victory.
At No. 2 singles, Snook won 6-1, 6-1, to run her dual-meet record in 2012 to 8-0, her eighth straight victory.
Freshman Abby Shewalter (Winchester, Mass.) won at No. 4 singles by a 6-1, 6-2 margin to push her dual-meet record to 5-0.
Kaufmann and Dye Das
(Jr. / Cherry Hill, N.J.) won at Nos. 5 and 6 singles to complete the 6-1 victory over Loyola, Md.
For the third time in the last six matches, Navy was then forced to rally for a victory after dropping the doubles point in the 4-3 win over a strong Drexel team.
Navy's lone doubles win came at No. 1 doubles when Decquir and Ton were victorious by an 8-6 margin over Mafa and Stosic. However, Navy fell at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles to trail the Dragons, 1-0, after doubles play.
Snook tied the match at 1-1 with a dominating 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles for her ninth consecutive win, which is now tied for the longest individual winning streak in school history and improving her dual-meet record to 9-0.
Noelle Kaufmann then gave Navy a 2-1 match lead with an equally-impressive 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 6 singles.
After a loss at No. 2 singles in which Drexel tied the match at 2-2, the Mids took a 3-2 lead at No. 1 singles when Darien Sears (So. / Silver Spring, Md.) won her only match of the day with a 6-4, 6-3 victory to improve her record to 11-10 overall and 7-2 in the dual-meet season.
Navy then clinched the match with a three-set victory at No. 3 singles by Ton by a 0-6, 6-4, 6-0 score.
Ton went 4-0 on the day and won her 75th match (combined) during the day.
"I was really impressed by the job Stefanie Ton did today. She played double-duty, going undefeated in both singles and doubles matches in both matches," said Puryear. "I also thought that she and Emani (Decquir) played stellar in both doubles competitions today.
"While it is obviously a great start, we have to keep working hard and continue to concentrate on improving as a team," added Puryear.
Navy remains at home when it hosts George Washington next Sunday afternoon at noon at the Brigade Sports Complex in Annapolis.
NAVY 6, LOYOLA, MD. 1
1) Decquir / Ton (Navy) d. Janasek / Ott (Loy.), 8-6
2) Kaufmann / Snook (Navy) d. Hoy / Lite (Loy.), 8-3
3) Ash / Fedele (Loy.) d. Houle / Olsen (Navy), 8-6
1) Stefanie Ton (Navy) d. Rachel Janasek (Loy.), 6-3, 6-1
2) Erin Snook (Navy) d. Scarlett Hoy (Loy.), 6-1, 6-1
3) Sabrina Fedele (Loy.) d. Gabby Winter (Navy), 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
4) Abby Shewalter (Navy) d. Tiffany Ash (Loy.), 6-1, 6-2
5) Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) d. Judy Lite (Loy.), 6-1, 6-3
6) Dye Das (Navy) d. Olivia Ott (Loy.), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
NAVY 4, DREXEL 3
1) Decquir / Ton (Navy) d. Mafa / Stosic (Drexel), 8-6
2) Leizerovich / Rosales (Drexel) d. Snook / Kauffman (Navy), 8-6
3) Bell / Pivonka (Drexel) d. Sears / Shewalter (Navy), 8-3
1) Darien Sears (Navy) d. Sonja Stosic (Drexel), 6-4, 6-3
2) Zeynep Mafa (Drexel) d. Emani Decquir (Navy), 6-4, 6-2
3) Stefanie Ton (Navy) d. Marcela Rosales (Drexel), 0-6, 6-4, 6-0
4) Erin Snook (Navy) d. Elise Leizerovich (Drexel), 6-1, 6-1
5) Alex Bell (Drexel) d. Gabby Winter (Drexel), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6) Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) d. Nicole Pivonka (Drexel), 6-4, 6-3
# GO NAVY #