George Washington Hands Navy First Setback of Season
Noelle Kaufmann won both her singles and doubles match on Sunday against George Washington.
March 4, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Noelle Kaufmann was part of two winning matches, but the George Washington women's tennis team was too strong overall, handing the Midshipmen their first loss of the season by a 6-1 margin on Sunday afternoon.
The loss was Navy's (11-1) first of the season and snapped the Midshipmen's program-record 11-match winning streak.
"As a coach, you never want to lose a match but we were outplayed today by a good George Washington team," said Navy head coach Keith Puryear. "George Washington did what they needed to do to win and we did not. We were able to escape in some other matches this year, but GWU played tough and did not allow that to happen."
The loss overshadowed a strong performance by freshman Noelle Kaufmann (Westlake, Ohio). The Navy rookie teamed with Erin Snook (So. / Tampa, Fla.) to record Navy's lone doubles win, coming at the No. 2 slot with an 8-7 (3) win over the Colonials' Isabella Escobar and Leah Pascarella.
Kauffman then won Navy's lone singles match with a 6-3, 6-2 victory Zoe Krohn at the No. 6 singles slot. Kaufmann improved to 6-0 in dual-meet play with the victory and 11-5 overall.
"I was encouraged by some great individual performances by Noelle and Erin in doubles plan and Noelle in singles play," said Puryear. "Overall though, we let too many points slip through our fingers at critical points in the matches today."
Navy lost the other two doubles matches by 8-3 and 8-2 scores and Navy's best other chance at a victory in singles play came from Snook at No. 4 singles and Gabby Winter (Fr. / Orlando, Fla.), both of whom lost in three-set decisions.
Navy returns to the court on Friday, March 9 when it hosts Delaware at the Brigade Sports Complex.
"I told the ladies that the measure of a good team is how you respond after a tough loss," said Puryear. "We will be looking for a good effort on Friday against a very good Delaware team."
GEORGE WASHINGTON 6, NAVY 1
1) Hamling / Krohn (GWU) d. Decquir / Ton (Navy), 8-3
2) Kaufmann / Snook (Navy) d. Escobar / Pascarella (GWU), 8-7 (3)
3) Corba / Tyner (GWU) d. Sears / Shewalter (Navy), 8-2
1) Jacqueline Corba (GWU) d. Darien Sears (Navy), 6-3, 6-1
2) Leah Pascarella (GWU) d. Emani Decquir (Navy), 6-3, 6-2
3) Mimi Hamling (GWU) d. Erin Snook (Navy), 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
4) Isabella Escobar (GWU) d. Gabby Winter (Navy), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (11-9)
5) Meg Tyner (GWU) d. Abby Shewalter (Navy), 6-0, 6-4
6) Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) d. Zoe Krohn (GWU), 6-3, 6-2
# GO NAVY #