Oct. 25, 2007
ANNAPOLIS, MD - The $16.5 million privately funded Thornton D. and Elizabeth S. Hooper Brigade Sports Complex will be officially dedicated by the United States Naval Academy and the Naval Academy Athletic Association on Saturday, October 27, 2007, at 9:30 a.m. The new Complex provides a combined venue for hockey, tennis, golf and rugby competition.
"We are committed to making every effort toward expanding our opportunities and accommodations for physical activities, while creating a first class environment comprised of the finest facilities in the nation in support of the Brigade of Midshipmen," said Chet Gladchuk, athletic director at the Naval Academy Athletic Association.
The Naval Academy, the Naval Academy Athletic Association and the Naval Academy Foundation share a commitment to physical mission and teamwork requiring modern facilities, superior equipment, first-rate coaching and outstanding support systems. The construction of the 170,000-square-foot building, located across the Severn River and adjacent to the U.S. Naval Academy Golf Course on Greenbury Point, further supports and promotes athletic excellence in programs and facilities at the Naval Academy.
"Midshipmen learn leadership, discipline and teamwork on the athletic field. These qualities are indispensable to leading Sailors and Marines," said Superintendent Vice Admiral Jeffery L. Fowler, USN Naval Academy class of 1978. "The new Brigade Sports Complex raises our standard for athletic excellence, enhancing our physical mission and better preparing midshipmen to lead from day one of commissioned service."
The Brigade Sports Complex, as well as the adjacent $2 million rugby complex to be dedicated at a later date, was funded entirely by private gifts. As such, it joins the new international squash courts in Halsey Field House, Glenn Warner Soccer Facility, the Robert Crown Sailing Center, Terwilliger Brothers Field at Max Bishop Stadium, and Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium as prime examples of how alumni, parents and friends help to further the Naval Academy's commitment to athletic excellence.
"This is a wonderful example of how private donors, working through the Foundation, help the Academy ensure that it accomplishes the Naval Academy's physical mission while also providing for the margin of excellence in athletics," said George P. Watt Jr., Naval Academy class of 1973, president and CEO of the U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association & Foundation.
- more -
The Brigade Sports Complex Profile:
The 170,000-square foot, $16.5 million privately funded facility features an Olympic-size hockey rink; six indoor and six outdoor tennis courts; a new golf pro shop; video-equipped golf instruction stations; a 40'x60' putting green; a restaurant; a variety of locker rooms; public meeting areas; and a fitness center. The Brigade Sports Complex is named in memory of Thornton D. and Elizabeth S. Hooper by their son, Ralph W. Hooper, class of 1951, a leadership donor to the project.
* McMullen Hockey Arena
The new Olympic-size rink meets NCAA standards and has an initial seating capacity for 800 spectators, with the capacity to expand to more than 3,000 seats. The rink serves not only the Navy hockey program, but also intramural hockey, youth hockey, and the community with public skating, youth hockey programs, and tournament play. The Hockey Arena is named in honor of the late Dr. John McMullen, class of 1940, and his wife Jacquie, recognizing their leadership gift to the project.
* Tosé Family Tennis Center
Including six outdoor and six indoor courts, the Center is named for Maurice, class of 1978, Teri Tosé, and their family in recognition of their leadership gift.
* The Fluegel-Moore Tennis Stadium
The six outdoor tennis courts recognize leadership gifts from Rick, class of 1961, and Donna Fluegel and Bill, class of 1961, and Sandra Moore.
* Adkins Indoor Tennis Court
One indoor tennis court is named in honor of Captain James N., class of 1958, and Rosemary Adkins in recognition of their leadership gift.
* Rankin Golf Center
Located adjacent to the Naval Academy golf course, the Rankin Golf Center incorporates existing golf support infrastructure and includes a new and improved golf pro shop (increased in size by 300 percent); six indoor hitting stations with video-based, swing-motion analysis; a 40'x60' putting green; and golf locker rooms. The Center is named in honor of David H., class of 1946, and Nancy Rankin in recognition of their leadership gift.
Prusmack Rugby Center:
As a result of parallel fundraising efforts for the Rugby Excellence Fund, three new rugby pitches will be located adjacent to the Brigade Sports Complex. The Rugby Center is named in honor of Jon, class of 1966, and Patrice Prusmack, recognizing their leadership gift.
* Ernie Blake Field
The two lighted competition pitches will be named in honor of Ernie, class of 1964, and Sharon Blake, in recognition of their leadership gift.
* Malek Rugby Pitch
The practice rugby pitch will be named in honor of Frederick W. Malek, class of 1988, in recognition of his leadership gift.
* Marc C. Baliotti Scoreboard
The rugby complex scoreboard will be named in honor of Marc C., class of 1992, and Katherine Baliotti recognizing their leadership gift.
About the Naval Academy Foundation:
The mission of the Naval Academy Foundation is to support, promote, and advance the mission of the Naval Academy by working in conjunction with Academy leadership to identify strategic institutional priorities, and by raising, managing and disbursing private gift funds that provide a margin of excellence in support of the nation's premier leadership institution.